Media & outreach
We actively communicate our science, and believe that it is important to make science and technology understandable and accessible. Our lab is often buzzing with the excitement of scientific discovery because we work at the intersection of emerging genetic technologies, fascinating mammals, and urgent conservation questions. We enjoy communicating this excitement and translating our results to the public and to STEM students.
In the news
Species from Feces
- NAU News, 29 August 2018: Hyenas, hippos, and lions joined NAU’s inaugural study abroad class in Zambia.
- NAU News, 26 October 2017: Hanging with bats: NAU professors share their research and love of this small flying mammal. http://news.nau.edu/bat-week/
- PLOS Research News Author Spotlight, 2016: Species from Feces: A new tool for identifying bat species.
- California Academy of Sciences News, 2016: From Feces to Species.
- NRDC’s onEarth, 2016, Head’s Up, Endangered Species: Scientists are Spying on You
- NAU News, 2016, NAU researchers make their mark with new DNA testing tool
- KNAU Arizona Public Radio, 2016: NAU Lab Develops Tool to Identify Bats from Guano.
- Cosmos Magazine, 2016: Species from faeces: Tracking bats through poo ‘barcodes’.
- Minnesota Dept of Natural Resources News Release, 2016: First new bat species discovered in Minnesota in more than a century.
- The Wildlife Professional magazine of The Wildlife Society, Guano provides genetic material to identify bat species, Fall 2015
- KNAU Earth notes, 2015, All the poop on rarely seen animals.
- NAU News, 2014, Unique guano innovation gives straight poop on species populations.
- KNAU Brain Food, 2014: Species from Feces.
New Mexico meadow jumping mouse
- KNAU Arizona Public Radio, 2016: NAU team finds endangered jumping mouse in Arizona and New Mexico.
- Ruidoso News, 2016: Endangered mouse confirmed in Lincoln National Forest.
- Albuquerque Journal, 2016: University team confirms presence of New Mexico meadow jumping mouse in the Jemez.
- NAU News, 2017: Austin Dikeman wins second place at conference for jumping mouse talk.
- NAU News, 2017: Dan Sanchez receives NSF Graduate Research Fellowship to study jumping mouse for his Ph.D.
Ancient DNA Lab
- KNAU’s Brain Food, 2016: Ancient DNA Lab.
- Arizona Daily Sun, 2016: New NAU lab explores ancient DNA fragments.
- Flagstaff STEM City, 2018: Ancient DNA Sparks Youthful Interest
- NAU News, 2014: NAU postdoc has sequenced the genome of the spotted bat.
- KNAU Earth Notes, 2017: Spotted Bats.
- Local K-12: Multiple annual presentations to K-12 STEM programs in Flagstaff.
- University: Presentations to visiting classes from other universities.
- Community: Annual interactive displays at the Flagstaff Festival of Science and presentations to local groups; Annual demonstrations to the Navajo Nation at Canyon de Chelly.
- Our team: Participation of individuals from underrepresented groups.