Simultaneous Membership Program (SMP)
Gain job experience and earn pay and benefits now while you work towards becoming a Commissioned Officer in the Army National Guard (ARNG) or Army Reserves (USAR). A great choice for those who want to serve their country while pursuing their civilian career upon graduation!
The SMP is a volunteer officer training program designed to allow ROTC cadets the opportunity to serve simultaneously in the ARNG or USAR while they pursue their degree. SMP Cadets must be eligible for enlistment in, OR already assigned to, an ARNG or USAR unit and complete an SMP agreement.
They must also meet ONE of the following criteria:
- Be contracted with ROTC on a Guaranteed Reserve Forces Duty (GRFD) Scholarship such as the Minuteman (2020 AZARNG Minuteman Flyer Application)
- Be contracted with ROTC non-scholarship.
- Make an irrevocable election to convert their non-GRFD Scholarship (National, Green-to-Gold*, Line) to a GRFD Scholarship.
The SMP Program provides:
- Hands-on management and leadership training
- GRFD/Minuteman Scholarship (Full tuition and fees OR $10,000/year Room and Board)
- ROTC Stipend $420/month
- Drill pay as a CDT (E-5) $329/month
- Eligible AZARNG members may qualify for up to $4,000/year State Tuition Reimbursement (STR) (AZARNG STR Flyer FY19)
- Eligible ARNG and USAR members may qualify for Chapter 1606 Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) up to $362/month and $4,000/year Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA)
- Medical Insurance through Tricare Reserve Select (TRS)
- Servicemembers’ Group Life Insurance (SGLI)
*Note: Certain restrictions apply to combining Scholarships, Post 9-11 GI Bill, MGIB-SR, FTA, and/or STR. Green to Gold – Active Duty Option participants may not participate in the SMP.
For more information contact:
CPT Brett Hlasny (ARNG)
SFC John “Wes” Parker (USAR)