Simultaneous Membership Program (SMP)
The SMP is a volunteer officer training program designed to allow current ROTC cadets the opportunity to train with local National Guard or USAR units as officer trainees. It allows simultaneous enrollment and participation in the ROTC Advanced Course while providing the future officer with leadership and unit experience.
By definition, the SMP Cadet is an officer trainee assigned to a local unit while simultaneously participating as a contracted Cadet in the ROTC program.
Enlisted members of the Army National Guard (ARNG) or U.S. Army Reserve (USAR) cannot be contracted into the ROTC Advanced Course or MS II until they have elected to participate in either the SMP or be discharged from their unit.
Enlisted members of the ARNG or USAR must be discharged to accept regular campus-based ROTC scholarships that can access Active Duty (AD) and reenlist in the ROTC control group. They must have their scholarship converted to ARNG or USAR before they can participate in the SMP.
For an ROTC Cadet to become a participant in the SMP, an individual must:
- Be fully contracted as non-scholarship in the ROTC Advanced Course or contracted as an MS II Cadet or be fully contracted on a Guaranteed Reserve Forces Duty Scholarship (GRFD). This includes Green to Gold non-scholarship students.
- Be eligible for enlistment in or already assigned to, an ARNG or USAR unit as an officer trainee and have completed an SMP agreement.
ROTC Cadets/participants not eligible to participate in the SMP program:
- Cadets contracted on an Army ROTC AD scholarship. They must request conversion of any regular Army ROTC Scholarship to a GRFD Scholarship before they can participate in the SMP.
- Green to Gold scholarship recipients. They are not authorized to convert their scholarships to GRFD scholarships.
- Green to Gold Active Duty Option participants. These participants have not been discharged and are still on active duty; therefore, ineligible to SMP.
A limited number of nursing majors are allowed to participate.
The SMP Program provides:
- Hands-on management and leadership training.
- Up to 100% Tuition Assistance.
- ROTC Stipend (up to $500.00/mo) as a contracted Cadet.
- Drill pay as a Sergeant (E-5).
- Additional pay for Annual training/ROTC Training.
- Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) and “Kicker” (under scholarship, eligibility to receive these funds differs between Dedicated ARNG Scholarships and GRFD-ARNG or GRFD-USAR Scholarships)
- An Opportunity to volunteer for training in Airborne, Air Assault, Northern or Mountain Warfare Training.