New student dependent transition checklist
Congratulations on your acceptance to Northern Arizona University (NAU)! Please use the following checklist to help guide you in your transition to NAU.
Steps to complete:
1. Accept your offer to NAU Accordion Closed
- Log-in using your NAU User-ID and Password and accept your offer.
- Enrollment Deposit: As a recipient of specific VA Educational benefits (Chapter 33 transferred benefits, Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship), we will defer the required $250 portion of the NAU Enrollment Deposit Fee. *If you have already paid this deposit, you will be reimbursed at the end of the term. If you have NOT yet paid this, please contact our office at email@example.com with your name, ID and the VA education benefit you are utilizing and we will defer the deposit for you
Here is how it works:
- This Enrollment Deposit Fee holds your spot at NAU and is non-refundable until specific timelines. For more information, please visit: https://nau.edu/admission/freshmen-next-steps/
- You will be liable to pay this fee later or by other means such as Financial Aid if the VA does not cover the full amount based on your eligibility.
- IMPORTANT: The $100 housing deposit is not paid or deferred by NAU’s Veteran and Military Services. This is a separate deposit for those requesting on-campus housing. If you are seeking priority on-campus housing, you must visit nau.edu/housing and complete the application. The
aforementioned $100 will be billed to your LOUIE account and will need to be paid within a week.
2. Initiating or transferring the VA education benefits from your sponsor Accordion Closed
Initiate your application through the VA’s Website to get your Certificate of Eligibility COE
- Chapter 33Transferred (Post 9/11) – GI Bill®, ensures the military member has transferred benefits. Student will need to complete VA Form 22-1990E (Application for Family Member to Use Transferred Benefits) or VA Form 22-1995 (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training).
- Chapter 35 DEA – Survivors’ and Dependent Educational Assistance Program (DEA) applicants should use the VA form 22-5490. If you have used Chapter 35 benefits at another university and are transferring to Northern Arizona University, please fill out VA form 22-5495.
- Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship – The Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship provides Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to the children and surviving spouses of Service members who died in the line of duty while on active duty after Sept. 10, 2001.
3. COE – Certificate of Eligibility Accordion Closed
- We will need a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) for our records and in all cases for Residency. Don’t forget that you must have listed NAU as your school of choice.Submit COE Form
NOTE: It could take up to 2 months to receive your COE from the VA by mail. You may continue through the remaining steps on this list before you receive the paper copy of your COE.
4. Next steps to enrollment Accordion Closed
- A great deal goes into preparing for your arrival to Northern Arizona University. Please visit Next Steps and follow the steps to enrollment. Then be sure to come back to this checklist to get timely information on using your VA Educational Benefits and Residency.
5. Enroll in classes Accordion Closed
- In order to initiate your GI Bill funding, you must be enrolled in classes. This process will get you connected with an academic advisor who will enroll you in your first term at NAU.
- For help setting up an academic advising appointment or help addressing academic holds on your account proceed to Gateway Advising Center
- Visit University Advising for a list of advisors (and contact info) associated with your major and online students seeking advisement you can find those resources a
6. Submit your course schedule for VA benefits Accordion Closed
- Once you have completed your VA education benefits and enrolled in classes, you will need to “submit your course schedule for VA benefits”. This will initiate your VA Enrollment Certification for your monetary benefits and can be completed on your LOUIE account.
- IMPORTANT: You must submit your course schedule for VA benefits EVERY SEMESTER, and resubmit the form if you make any changes i.e. add/drop classes. If you do not submit your course schedule through your LOUIE account, the VA will not be informed of your enrollment into school. NO CERTIFICATION = NO MONEY.
- Dropping a class: If you drop a class after the add/drop date, please email us with the name of the class(es) you are dropping. There may be financial implications associated with dropping class(es) after the add/drop date. Please feel free to contact the VSC for guidance in this process.
- Personalized Learning: This program is a self-paced blend of traditional academic learning and real work experience. Designed for a less traditional more dynamic learning environment for students with the personal drive and time management skills capable of making efficient use of this unique opportunity. However, this program is NOT covered by VA Educational Benefits.
7. Residency/tuition rate – Residency/tuition rate Accordion Closed
- If you are deemed an out-of-state resident or a WUE student, there are a few options you may be eligible for to obtain the in-state tuition rate, entirely online students do not need to fill out In-State tuition/Yellow Ribbon Forms. * Remember the VA only pays the in-state portion of your tuition.
- If you did not live in the state of Arizona prior to physically attending school, you will need to fill out this form once you have moved to Flagstaff.
MPORTANT: You must submit your residency form BEFORE the Add/Drop Date of your first term!
8. Vet pay plans Accordion Closed
- If you are using Transferred Ch. 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill ® benefits, the VA pays the school directly; therefore, NAU will automatically add you to a FREE “Vet Pay Plan” for the tuition and fees portion of your balance AFTER we get your class certification request. * The BAH and Book stipend is paid directly to your account for which you set up with the Federal VA; therefore, the Meal Plan and Housing charges on your account will need to be paid by you to the school and will not be put on a payment plan.
- If you are using Ch. 35 benefits, the VA pays a monthly stipend directly to your bank account. NAU offers a free “Vet Pay Plan” for Ch 35 recipients as well, by Request only. To request this pay plan, you will need to email us.
9. Financial aid Accordion Closed
- We encourage all students to complete the Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA), found online at fafsa.ed.gov. FAFSA determines your eligibility for low/no interest student loans as well as state/federal grants. Make sure to report any veteran/military benefits you will be receiving.
- FLG student veteran/military checklist
- FLG dependent utilizing VA benefits checklist
- Online and community campus veteran/military checklist
- DODTA checklist
Serving our Military-Connected students and families by focusing on exemplary service, professionalism, and respect.