Community Campus and Online student checklist
Congratulations on your acceptance to Northern Arizona University (NAU)! Please use the following checklist to help guide you in your transition to NAU.
Steps to complete:
1. Check your admissions application status Accordion Closed
- Log in to accept your offer of admission using your NAU User-ID and Password.
2. Initiate or transfer your VA education benefits to NAU Accordion Closed
Initiate your Application through the VA’s Online Portal to get your Certificate of Eligibility (COE). NAU administers the following VA Education Benefits:
- Chapter 33 – Post-9/11 GI Bill® – At least 90 aggregate days of active service after September 10, 2001, or were discharged with a service-connected disability after serving at least 30 consecutive days after that date.
- Chapter 30 – Montgomery GI Bill® – Active Duty – There is various eligibility criteria for this program and a minimum service obligation.
- Chapter 1606–Selected Reserve – The VA does not have authority under the law to make or reverse eligibility determinations. Your Guard or Reserve component makes decisions regarding your eligibility for this benefit.
- Chapter 35 Survivors’ and Dependent Educational Assistance: Stipend available to survivors’ and dependents of veterans with 100% P&T Disability.
- Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) – Have received a discharge that is other than dishonorable Have a service-connected disability rating of at least 10% from VA Apply for VR&E services
- DOD Tuition Assistance – NAU also administers the Department of Defense Tuition Assistance for Eligible Active Duty Military.
3. COE – Certificate of Eligibility Accordion Closed
- We will need a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) for our records and in some cases for Residency. Don’t forget that you must have listed NAU as your school of choice. If you are having any issues please contact our office.
- NOTE: It could take up to 2 months to receive your COE from the VA. The COE is sent directly to you and not to NAU. You do NOT have to wait for your COE to continue through the remaining steps on this list. Please continue.
4. Register for Orientation Accordion Closed
- Complete online orientation which provides important resources and information for enrolling in classes.
5. Enroll in Classes and Complete Priority Enrollment Accordion Closed
- Complete Priority Enrollment online as soon as possible so academic advisors can confirm your transfer credits (including military credits earned) and build a preliminary schedule for your first
6. Submit Your Course Schedule for VA Benefits Accordion Closed
- Once you have completed your VA education benefits and enrolled in classes, you will need to submit your course schedule for VA benefits. This will initiate your VA Enrollment Certification for your monetary benefits and can be completed on your LOUIE account.
- IMPORTANT: You must submit your course schedule for VA benefits EVERY TERM, and resubmit the form if you make any changes i.e. add/drop classes. If you do not submit your course schedule through your LOUIE account, the VA will not be informed of your enrollment. NO CERTIFICATION = NO MONEY.
- DODTA Users Only: You do NOT submit your courses for VA Enrollment Certification. NAU will adjust your tuition rate to the approved DODTA rate after you submit your DODTA authorization form. Your tuition will then be deferred for invoicing to your military branch of service. There is no free payment plan for the fees associated with your classes that you are responsible for.
- Dropping a Class: If you drop a class after the add/drop date, you must send us an email with the name of the class(es) you are dropping and the reason. There may be financial implications associated with dropping class(es) after the add/drop date. Please feel free to contact the VSC for guidance.
- If you are using 33 Post 9/11 benefits, the VA pays Tuition and Fees directly to NAU. NAU will defer your due date for the tuition and mandatory fees portion of your balance AFTER you certify your classes. Your BAH and book stipend is paid directly to your bank account which you set up when you applied for benefits. You will need to pay NAU directly for any fees outside of tuition/mandatory fees such as meal plans, housing charges, transportation fee, etc. which will not be put on the Vet Pay Plan.
- If you are using 30, Ch. 1606 or Ch. 35 benefits, the VA ONLY pays a monthly stipend directly to you through your bank account which you set up online. NAU offers a free “Vet Pay Plan” by request only. To request this pay plan, you will need to email us after you submit your courses for VA benefits.
- The Vet Pay Plan is a deferment that postpones payment of your associated tuition and certain fees until the NAU VA Certifying Official bills the Department of Veteran
- Personalized Learning: This program is a self-paced blend of traditional academic learning and real work experience. Designed for a less traditional more dynamic learning environment for students with the personal drive and time management skills capable of making efficient use of this unique opportunity. However, this program is NOT covered by VA Educational Benefits.
7. Financial aid Accordion Closed
- All students should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). FAFSA determines your eligibility for federal student loans as well as state/federal grants (grants = money you do not pay back), and also is a requirement for many scholarships.
- Make sure to report any veteran/military benefits you will be receiving. Financial Aid is initially based on your “prior-prior year’s earnings.” If this doesn’t accurately reflect your income at the time you will be taking classes, talk with the VSC and we will provide information on the Financial Aid appeal process through the NAU Financial Aid Office to have your award reassessed.
- FAFSA opens October 1st each year. You will need to re-apply for FAFSA every October and the sooner you complete it, the better in terms of funding availability. *We suggest marking your calendars as a reminder to do this each October!
8. Residency/In-state Tuition Rate: Accordion Closed
- If you are a fully online student, this step will NOT apply to you because online tuition is one rate. If you are an out-of-state resident or a WUE student, there are a few options you may be eligible for to obtain the in-state tuition rate.
- ** Remember the VA only pays the in-state portion of your tuition, not the out- of-state portion. Just because you have GI-Bill funding does not mean you are automatically granted the in-state tuition rate.
- If you are enrolled in in-person courses, and are classified as non-resident for tuition YOU MUST complete the required residency application form located here: https://nau.edu/veteran-and-military-services/yellow-ribbon/
- The deadline to submit this form is the Add/Drop Date of your first term!
9. Transcripts Accordion Closed
(You most likely have already submitted transcripts as part of the requirements of your NAU Admissions application; however, please ensure you have submitted all your transcripts.)
- Military Transcripts:
- Other Transcripts: Request an official copy of transcripts for high school (if applicable), colleges and/or universities you were enrolled in prior to your application to NAU. Be sure that final grades are posted and graduation dates are indicated, if applicable.
Request transcript(s) be sent to:
Undergraduate Admissions and Orientation
NAU Box 4084
Flagstaff, AZ 86011-4084
** Military Transcripts will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
10. Provide Immunization Documentation Accordion Closed
A list of required immunizations and how to submit documentation can be found at NAU Medical Services. Always include your NAU ID on any documentation submitted.
11. Get connected! Accordion Closed
- Join the Student Veterans of America (SVA). Please sign up through True Blue Connects to become a member of the NAU SVA; you can also find information about other clubs and student organizations. This is a registered student organization on campus to support and promote the veteran perspective on campus. You will receive emails highlighting our monthly social and university events. You can also find us on Facebook
- Northern Arizona TRIO Veterans Upward Bound (VUB): This program is designed to help eligible veterans gain a jump-start in their academic careers. Refresh your academic skills with individualized instruction. Learn time management, financial literacy, and study strategies. Phone: 928-717-7686 | FAX: 928-776-2083 | Email | Website
- Check out our Resource Guide for many other support organizations
- FLG student veteran/military checklist
- FLG dependent utilizing VA benefits checklist
- Online and community campus veteran/military checklist
- DODTA checklist
Serving our Military-Connected students and families by focusing on exemplary service, professionalism, and respect.