- FLG student veteran/military checklist
- FLG dependent utilizing VA benefits checklist
- Ch. 31 Veteran Readiness & Employment (VR&E)
- Online and community campus veteran/military checklist
- DODTA checklist
- Graduate Student Checklist
Serving our Military-Connected students and families by focusing on exemplary service, professionalism, and respect.
Veteran readiness and employment (Ch. 31 VR&E)
Congratulations on your acceptance to Northern Arizona University! Please carefully read through each step of this checklist to help guide you in your transition.
Steps to complete:
1. Verify that you are eligible for Ch 31 VR&E and apply Accordion Closed
You can verify and apply through the VA Website.
When you apply, a VR&E Case Manager (VRE CM) will schedule an appointment to determine your eligibility. If found eligible, you will be provided documentation to begin research into your career field.
2. Research your career path Accordion Closed
Research career path (get data of up to 3 different positions relating to career path) Data must include pay rate and job growth. You will need to look up statistics from instate as well as nationwide. When you finish researching your career path, send the documents to your case manager for review. Once reviewed, Your VR&E Case Manager will prepare and provide a path to your degree plan, utilizing the information that was given to them.
We have provided links to two helpful resources.
4. Accept your offer to NAU Accordion Closed
- Log into nau.edu/acceptmyoffer using your NAU User-ID and Password. Enrollment Deposit: As a recipient of VA Educational Benefits, we will defer the required $250 portion of the $350 NAU Enrollment Deposit Fee. Here is how it works:
- This Enrollment Deposit Fee holds your spot at NAU and is non-refundable until specific timelines. For more information, please visit: https://nau.edu/admission/freshmen-next-steps/
- You will be liable to pay this fee at a later date or by other means such as Financial Aid or if you are utilizing Ch 33 – GI Bill at 100% eligibility or Ch 31 Veteran Readiness & Employment (VR&E) in which case the fee is covered.
- Important: The $100 housing deposit is not paid or deferred by NAU’s Veteran and Military Services. This is a separate deposit for those requesting on-campus housing. If you are seeking priority on-campus housing, you must visit edu/housing and complete their application. The aforementioned $100 will be billed to your LOUIE account and will need to be paid within a week.
5. Provide Immunization Documentation Accordion Closed
A list of required immunizations and how to submit documentation can be found on the NAU Health Services Website. Always include your NAU ID on any documentation submitted.
6. Transcripts Accordion Closed
You most likely have already submitted transcripts as part of the requirements of your NAU Admissions application; however, please ensure you have submitted all your transcripts. Military Transcripts: Visit https://jst.doded.mil/official.html for information about obtaining your military transcripts or http://www.airuniversity.af.mil/Barnes/CCAF/ for information about obtaining transcripts from the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF).Other Transcripts: Request an official copy of transcripts for high school (if applicable), colleges and/or universities you were enrolled in prior to your application to NAU. Be sure that final grades are posted and graduation dates are indicated, if applicable.
7. Enroll in classes and complete priority enrollment Accordion Closed
Complete Priority Enrollment online as soon as possible so academic advisors can confirm your transfer credits (including Military Credits earned) and build a preliminary schedule for your first semester. You may also add comments as to specific courses for which you would like to enroll such as the recommended course noted below:
FYS 131 – Cultural Understanding First-Year-Seminar
Topic: Veteran Integration Engagement
8. Submit your course schedule for VA benefits Accordion Closed
Once you have completed your VA education benefits and enrolled in classes, you will need to “submit your course schedule for VA benefits”. This will initiate your VA Enrollment Certification for your monetary benefits and can be completed via your LOUIE account.
Select Academic Record in LOUIE
Select Military Education Benefit, then select the term and follow the instructions in the form
IMPORTANT: You must submit your course schedule for VA benefits EVERY SEMESTER, and resubmit the form if you make any changes i.e. add/drop classes. If you do not submit your course schedule through your LOUIE account, the VA will not be informed of your enrollment into school. Make sure you have your VRE CM name and contact information ready. NO CERTIFICATION = NO MONEY.
- Dropping a class: If you drop a class after the add/drop date, you must send an email to vets@ nau.edu with the name of the class(es) you are dropping and the reason. There may be financial implications associated with dropping class(es) after the add/drop date. Please feel free to contact the VSC for guidance in this process.
9. Requesting school books & supplies Accordion Closed
- After meeting with your VR&E case manager about your career path and once you are approved for the program, they will provide a Purchase Order (P.O.) to the NAU Certifying Official. This P.O. serves as the Certificate of Eligibility (COE) for NAU stating that you are authorized VR&E benefits. The P.O. document is then sent to certifying official for review. Once the certifying official reviews the P.O., it will be sent to the NAU Bookstore where an account will be created. This account is used to acquire your books and school supplies both in person and online. The VSC will verify that the account is set up to avoid any confusion. If you need extraordinary material, contact your VR&E case manager.
10. Orientation Accordion Closed
- We are offering a Virtual Benefit Information Session – We highly encourage attendance If you will be using GI Bill® benefits, register for the 1-hour VMS Education Benefit Info Session as a needed supplement
to your Online NAU Orientation.The VMS chat sessions will cover a variety of topics to include:
- Learning about our in-person and virtual services
- Getting information and instructions on utilizing your GI BILL®.
- In-State tuition rate military connected eligibility
- Meeting staff and fellow military connected peers!
- Getting NAU and VA resources
- Time for individual questions
- Complete online orientation, which provides important resources and information for enrolling in classes.
- Student Veteran Orientation: Register for the Student Veteran Orientation at https://nau.edu/ admission/orientation/. Please choose the applicable term, then choose “Student Veterans.” This is a 2-day, in-person student veteran orientation that replaces the freshman or transfer student orientation. Meals provided.
11. Financial Aid Accordion Closed
- All students should complete the Free Application for Student Aid (FAFSA) at https:// fafsa.ed.gov/. FAFSA determines your eligibility for Federal Student Loans as well as state/federal grants (grants = money you do not pay back), and also is a requirement for many scholarships.
- Make sure to report any veteran/military benefits you will be receiving. Financial Aid is initially based on your “prior-prior year’s earnings”. If this doesn’t accurately reflect your income at the time you will be taking classes, talk with the VSC and we will provide information on the Financial Aid appeal process through the NAU Financial Aid Office to have your award reassessed.
- FAFSA opens October 1st each year. You will need to re-apply to FAFSA every October and the sooner you complete it, the better in terms of funding availability. *We suggest marking your calendars as a reminder to do this each October!
- The deadline to submit this form is the Add/Drop Date of your first term.