I am a: Department or College
In an effort to protect the intellectual property of Northern Arizona University, as well as ensuring University Marketing brand compliance, colleges or departments looking to utilize NAU trademarks for uniforms, presentation displays, or promotions that involve merchandise must have permission to do so from the Trademark and Licensing Department. All merchandise bearing NAU trademarks must be produced and purchased from a licensed vendor.
Obtaining branded merchandise or promotional items
Identify the item you are looking to purchase. Accordion Closed
Consider items that will add value to your program, and will reflect positively upon the University. While some items may be “cute” or provide novelty, is it something that will inspire good will towards your program and NAU?
Identify a vendor to produce your product Accordion Closed
All vendors must be licensed to produce goods bearing the protected trademarks and tradenames of Northern Arizona University
For Merchandise and promotional items:
- The campus Bookstore is contracted with the University for the exclusive right to sell merchandise traditionally offered in University Bookstores. The Campus Bookstore should always be afforded first opportunity to quote on any promotional materials. If they are unable to meet the University’s needs, alternative options through licensed vendors may then be sought. To request a quote, please e-mail the Campus Bookstore.
For Print Materials and Internal Display Items (tablecloths, pop-up banners):
- Northern Arizona University operates a highly capable and cost-efficient University Printing Services department to meet most of the NAU’s printing needs. All University offices and personnel must use University Printing Services for their University printing jobs in excess of their own routine photocopying and desktop printing. The Manager of University Printing Services may grant a waiver of this requirement on a case-by-case basis. To review products offered, request a quote or place an order, please visit Printing Services.
In the event the Campus Bookstore is unable to produce your item, a licensed vendor may be used. A full list of licensed vendors may be found below.
*Please ensure you select a vendor that maintains the proper licensed type to produce your order. If you are planning to resell items for a promotion or fundraiser, then a local or standard licensee must be used:
Types of Licenses
Internal Campus Supplier Accordion Open
Allows a company to produce product bearing the trademarks of collegiate institutions for university departments and related entities for internal consumption only. Cannot provide product at retail or direct to consumer.
Local License Accordion Closed
Allows a company to produce product bearing the trademarks of collegiate institutions within the same state as the business’ location for university departments and related entities in addition to retail distribution.
Standard License Accordion Closed
Allows a company to produce product bearing the trademarks of unlimited collegiate institutions for university departments and related entities, in addition to retail distribution through all channels.
Develop artwork Accordion Closed
Artwork may be developed internally, or in collaboration with the licensed vendor of your choosing. All University, College and Unit level logos may be accessed via the University Marketing website. University Trademarks may not be altered without the express written consent of University Marketing.
- The Axe Logo – athletics logos containing the bordering axe signify our NCAA collegiate level sports programs and may not be used by any organization, department or division other than Intercollegiate Athletics.
Review and reference the Brand Identity Guide while developing artwork bearing any of the University’s protected trademarks and tradenames. All uses of NAU trademarks and tradenames are subject to policy and guidelines stated in the Brand Identity Guide.
Obtain University Marketing Approval Accordion Closed
Submit a branded merchandise and promotional items approval request. The form will require you to include the following information:
- Vendor Name
- Upload of the design file or art submission
- Intended use of the item
- Contact information
Submit Order to Vendor Accordion Closed
Upon receipt of approval from University Marketing, you may place your order directly with the vendor.
Standard turnaround time for production can be anywhere from 4-6 weeks, and will vary based on production capacity, weather (for delivery), and vendor. When working with the vendor, please establish an “in-hands” date to determine if they will be able to meet your needs. In some cases, expedited production and shipping may be available at an additional cost.
Frequently Asked Questions
Examples of merchandising activity Accordion Closed
- Departmental purchase of staff / faculty polos or uniforms
- Sales of products for fundraising programs
- Departmental purchase of presentation displays (table banners, flags, floor standing banners)
- Promotional product giveaways for conferences or other events
What trademarks can my college or department use? Accordion Closed
To maintain a strong, single graphic identity for the university, academic and non-academic departments that meet at least one of the following criteria must use only the approved Northern Arizona University Institutional and/or Unit logos:
- have an NAU/state paid address
- represent the whole university
- have cross-department functions
- are an NAU business or auxiliary
The University Marketing brand standards manual serves as the guide for departmental use of NAU Trademarks. Colleges or departments should utilize the university’s Institutional Logo along with their college or department name. Most of these logos are available for download by visiting the logos section of the the University Marketing website. To review the secondary logo policy, please visit the Visual Identity Guide, policy and procedures section.
Will my order require royalties? Accordion Closed
Requests for approval normally fall into two categories:
- Royalty Required
- Royalty Exempt
Any items being sold or resold bearing NAU trademarks for any of the following purposes constitutes commercial use:
- Sales to individual customers
- Sales on campus by RSOs with permits
- Sales for fundraising projects (a higher royalty will be assessed if the item includes the use of a commercial sponsor’s name or logo on a licensed product)
- Sales of items carrying a commercial message, sponsor or endorsement (regardless of size)
- Items used as promotional marketing for an event
- Items given away at conferences, workshops, clinics or camps that require a registration fee and the price of the item has been included in the fee
- Items used as giveaways to attendees of special events, booster activities, or for use as fundraisers.
Royalty exemptions include the following:
- Items restricted to an internal audience (members of an office, department or student recognized organization) and are used as a “uniform”.
- Items must be purchased with departmental funds.
- If above item is sold to the internal audience, it must be sold at cost to qualify for royalty exemption.
- Items such as banners and signs without endorsements, commercial messages or sponsors unless a company is a corporate sponsor of the NAU Athletics Department and trademark usage is specified in the sponsorship agreement.
NAU Athletics Identity System Accordion Closed
The NAU Athletics identity system was created specifically with NAU Athletics in mind, and therefore its components are not appropriate for use by other university departments or Registered Student Organizations as a replacement for their endorsed logos. (The only approved exceptions are Campus Recreation Services, Sports Clubs and Army and Air Force ROTC, which have received permission to use certain Athletics marks following specific guidelines.)
In the event that an organization or department is promoting NAU Athletics in their promotional materials’ content, or through a joint event co-hosted with NAU Athletics, use of Athletics names, logos and marks is permitted, as long as:
- the logo is not used to represent the department or organization
- the logo accompanies, and is secondary to the departments endorsed university logo
The use of Louie the mascot standing and running versions by university departments is permitted, as long as:
- it is not altered in any way
- it is not accompanied by any verbiage, text or design elements
- it adheres to the University Trademark Licensing Policy
Using Licensed Vendors Accordion Closed
All products bearing NAU’s trademarks, regardless of of the source, distribution method or intended use, must be produced by and purchased from companies who are licensed with NAU through a licensing agent under contract with the university, College Licensing Company.
A current list of NAU licensees is available here, or you can contact NAU Trademark and Licensing at firstname.lastname@example.org for a list of currently licensed vendors. Please be certain the vendor you select for your project maintains the proper type of license for your project.
It is important to note that not all vendors listed on the Peoplesoft Financials Vendor list are licensed to reproduce merchandise bearing NAU Trademarks, although they might be approved by Purchasing and Contracts to perform business transactions.
NAU Departments and Colleges, Groups and Registered Student Organizations may not assign rights or otherwise grant permission to any other entity for use of NAU’s trademarks for any purpose without prior review and approval by the Trademark and Licensing Manager.