Principal Investigators and Project Directors
When Principal Investigators (PIs) and Project Directors (PDs) seek and secure extramural funding for project proposals, the PI/PD assumes primary responsibility for the project’s technical compliance, completion of programmatic work, fiscal stewardship of sponsor funds, and compliance with administrative requirements. This includes adhering to Arizona Board of Regents (ABOR)/Northern Arizona University, award terms and conditions, and applicable laws and regulations.
Because PIs/PDs must bear this significant responsibility, the university must ensure that individuals serving in the PI/PD capacity have appropriate technical competence and administrative capabilities to carry out the project, and have a reasonably long-term commitment to NAU.
The following positions are automatically eligible to submit proposals:
Full-time faculty members holding tenure-eligible positions or non-tenure track research faculty Accordion Closed
As defined in the NAU Conditions of Faculty Service (COFS) (May 2007, available on the Provost’s website) are eligible to serve as a PI or Co-PI on extramurally funded sponsored projects.
Academic appointees Accordion Closed
Who hold the titles of Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, Professor, Assistant Research Professor, Associate Research Professor, or Research Professor are automatically eligible to serve as a PI or Co-PI on externally sponsored projects.
Directors or Associate Directors Accordion Closed
Of formally organized NAU Institutes or Centers are automatically eligible to serve as PIs or Co-PIs on externally sponsored projects.
Project or Program Directors Accordion Closed
For formally organized university training or service projects are automatically eligible to serve as PIs or Co-PIs for sponsored projects.
The following positions require prior approval to serve as a PI or Co-PI:
Non-tenure eligible faculty positions as defined in the NAU Conditions of Faculty Service (COFS): Accordion Closed
- Lecturers: Lecturer, Senior Lecturer, or Principal Lecturer
- Clinical Faculty: Assistant Clinical Professor, Associate Clinical Professor, or Clinical Professor
- Professors of Practice: Assistant Professor of Practice, Associate Professor of Practice, or Professor of Practice
- Visiting Faculty: Visiting Assistant Professor, Visiting Associate Professor or Visiting Professor
- Part-time Faculty
- Adjunct Faculty. Since the adjunct faculty position is a non-compensated position, an adjunct faculty member must be appointed to another appropriate rank to receive compensation.
- Visiting Scholars. Since the visiting scholar position is a non-compensated position, a visiting scholar must be appointed to another appropriate rank to receive compensation.
Incoming tenure-track faculty or non-tenure track research faculty Accordion Closed
May be approved to submit proposals prior to their arrival; provided that the individual will be employed by Northern Arizona University at the time the award is issued.
Emeritus Faculty Accordion Closed
May be approved to serve as PIs or Co-PIs for sponsored projects at the request of departments (see below).
Other Personnel Accordion Closed
For persons not included in the above categories will considered on a case-by-case basis.
Note: Individuals in these positions who are currently serving as a PI or Co-PI on a sponsored project must be reauthorized under the terms of the NAU Policy on Principal Investigator Eligibility, that is, submit a Request for Approval to serve (or continue to serve) as a PI or Co-PI.