Principal Investigator Reference Guide
Northern Arizona University Uniform Guidance (2 CFR 200) Principal Investigator Reference Guide (04/10/2015)
- Administrative and clerical salaries may be included in the budget, if they are “integral” to the project.
- Compensation for incidental activities is allowable only with agency prior approval.
- Computing devices (with a value less than $5,000) may be included in the budget, if they are essential and allocable to the project.
- Voluntary committed cost sharing is not expected and cannot be used as a factor in merit review.
- Personally Identifiable Information (PII) is a priority for the Federal government and must be carefully protected.
- Memberships in civic or community organizations are allowable only with agency prior approval.
- Participant support costs may be included in the budget if part of educational outreach and receive agency prior approval.
- PI disengagement (absence) is allowable, but requires agency prior approval if more than 3 months or a 25% reduction in effort.
- The costs of publication or sharing of research results may be charged after the project ends, but before final closeout.
- The Federal government must recognize all federally negotiated indirect cost rates.
- Fixed amount awards of up to $150,000 may be used for subrecipient agreements
- Short-term visa costs are allowable if part of recruitment.