Contact the Project Management Office
Know the rules
All NAU employees and students should read and be familiar with the Appropriate Use of IT Resources policy.
Project & Portfolio Management at NAU
The Information Technology Services (ITS) Project & Portfolio Management Office (PPMO) was developed to improve NAU’s ability to deliver technology solutions within budget and on schedule, supporting the mission of the university.
The ITS PPMO offers three core services for technology-focused projects requiring ITS resources:
- Project Management
- Project Portfolio Management for NAU VP-line business partners
- Project Portfolio Management for ITS Director areas
What Accordion Open
What is considered a project?
According to the Project Management Institute, a project is:
A temporary endeavor undertaken to create a unique product, service, or result.
This means your project has:
- Defined and measurable goals/objectives to achieve
- Start and end dates
Each division may have different rules and guidelines about how projects are requested, reviewed and approved. In addition to each division’s project review process, there is a university-wide governing board called the Strategic Project Review and Resourcing Committee (SPRRC) where all larger, cross-divisional projects are discussed and reviewed (excluding capital building projects).
Projects must be reviewed by SPRRC when:
- Projects are “cross-divisional,” meaning they require resources from more than one VP line.
- Projects require more than 10 hours of total resourcing time from another division within an 90-day cycle.
How Accordion Closed
How do I request a project?
We have recently implemented a new project intake process:
- Please log into ServiceNow and type in “Idea” in upper left hand corner.
- Select “Create New Idea” and fill out form.
- Select “Submit Idea” when finished. This idea will be routed to your SPRRC rep and/or the PPMO for review.
- The SPRRC rep and/or PPMO will review this idea and if approved, they will covert it to a Demand.
- Complete the Project Intake Form to initiate the project scoping process. This form will be sent to PPMO for project scoping. Once scoping is completed the proposed project demand will be presented to SPRRC for review, approval, and prioritizing.
- Approved projects will be prioritized and assigned to the business and/or PPMO for execution.
Previous (Old) Process
If you are a staff member within one of the following divisions:
- Capital Planning/Campus Operations
- Development and Alumni Engagement
(Want to try a submission just to see what the questions are? Use this “Try-It” link)
For all other divisions, please follow the project submission instructions below:
- Academic Affairs: submit this project request form.
- EMSA: Submit a case to ESBA within Salesforce
- Executive Services: Send an email to Mark.Grisham@nau.edu
- Marketing: Send an email to Rayma.Lee@nau.edu
- FIPA: Send an email to Brad.Miner@nau.edu
- HR: Send an email to Pam.Fleece@nau.edu
Please note that the old process will sunset on April 1st, 2020. After that point project will only be accepted utilizing the new process.
Where Accordion Closed
Where can I see a list of currently active projects?
For NAU employees without access to PPM:
Please email a report request to: ITSPMO@nau.edu
For NAU employees with access to PPM:
Projects that require ITS resources, or that have been submitted through the SPRRC committee may be viewed on the by anyone with an ITS login in ServiceNow by doing the following:
- On the upper left hand corner type in “Reports”.
- Select “Reports-View/Run”
- Select “All Reports” from top menu.
- On the right side search bar type in: “SPRRC”
- For the current Quarter: Select report “SPRRC Active Projects”
- For the next Quarter: Select report “SPRRC Projects Rolling Forward”
Please note that some projects may have a dedicated website with additional project details (such as the OGEI project, or the PeopleSoft Campus Solutions 9.2 Upgrade). Watch for communication from these projects for more detailed information and site links.
Strategic Project Review and Resource Committee
The Strategic Project Review and Resource Committee (SPRRC) is made up of representatives from each major VP division on campus and they review all new cross-divisional project requests. The process and committee seek to bring visibility to cross-divisional project requests to discuss resourcing needs across the institution, and to ensure strategic alignment of projects with core university goals and objectives. By reviewing all requests for work and prioritizing them against approved metrics, all divisions can improve resourcing efforts and allocation of project workload. Information about SPRRC is currently added to the ITS site while a new SPRRC site is built.
Projects are reviewed and approved on a quarterly cycle. Requests for each quarter must be submitted to the committee to be reviewed a month before quarter end. Project submissions are then reviewed by SPRRC and given a priority. Work is assigned based on priority and resource availability.