When your benefit
If you leave the university, cease to be a benefit eligible employee, or retire; your voluntary benefit coverage will end on the beginning of the pay period following your last day of employment in a benefit eligible job. You may have the option to continue benefit coverage under some plans.
You can review the current pay schedule.
If you are hired by another Arizona University System (AUS) or Arizona Department of Administration (ADOA) state agency employer within 31 days of leaving the university, you may be eligible to transfer your sick leave balance and benefit service to your new employer. Contact the Human Resources department at your new employer to see if you are eligible for an agency transfer.
You can continue your medical, dental and vision coverage through COBRA at the full cost plus a 2% administrative fee. COBRA enrollment information will be mailed to your home shortly after you leave the university. Review the COBRA enrollment form for cost information.
Campus Health Services – Effective through 08/31/2020 Accordion Closed
Many NAU employees, spouses and adult dependents frequently utilize Campus Health Services (CHS) for healthcare services and resources. COVID-19 has caused many financial hardships across the NAU campus including reductions in staffing. Historically, once an employee leaves the university, their ability to utilize CHS services ends at the time of separation. This lack of access to primary care, in addition to the loss of employment, causes an additional layer of stress on ex-employees and their dependents. It may take some time to become established with other providers in the Flagstaff region, which can delay or hinder care.
To ease this transition, for those employees whose employment ended on or after March 1, 2020, Campus Health has made the decision to allow former employees, and their adult dependents, to utilize CHS services and healthcare until August 31, 2020. Employees whose employment has ended and are new to CHS may also access services. This includes primary care, psychiatric care, behavioral health care, immediate care, immunizations, physical therapy, nutrition, and lab services.
How to contact Campus Health Services:
- Appointments 928.523.2131 or http://nau.edu/medical-services/
- Medical Services 928.523.2131 campushealth.nau.edu
Employee Assistance and Wellness (EAW):
Active employees and all NAU retirees can utilize Employee Assistance and Wellness and Campus Health Services.
Campus Health Services – Effective after 08/31/2020 Accordion Closed
- Only active employees and non-Medicare retirees can be seen at Campus Health Services.
- Active employees, Cobra participants and all NAU retirees can utilize Employee Assistance and Wellness. This does not include Campus Health Services.
Flexible spending accounts
If you are enrolled in a health care flexible spending account, you may be able to continue your coverage through COBRA at your full contribution amount plus a 2% administrative fee. ASI, the flexible spending account administrator, will determine if you are eligible to enroll in COBRA and, if you are eligible, will mail COBRA enrollment information to your home shortly after you leave the university.
If you are enrolled in a dependent day care flexible spending account, you do not have the option to continue coverage under COBRA.
Submitting claims Accordion Closed
Claims must be submitted to ASI no later than April 30th following the end of the calendar year in which claims were incurred. If you did not use all the funds in your account prior to your last day of coverage, you will only be reimbursed for qualified claims incurred prior to the last day of your coverage up to
- Health care – the amount of your annual election even if you did not contribute the entire amount to your account.
- Dependent care – the amount you have contributed to your account.
Life and Disability
- Employee life – You may continue your basic and any supplemental employee life insurance through your provider by converting or porting your coverage within 31 days of the last day of coverage.
- Aetna (Policy# 476687 & Group # 320471) call 800-523-5065
- Securian (Policy # 34681) contact Benefits Options at 866-712-3443
- Dependent life – You do not have the option of continuing your dependent life coverage.
- Disability – You do not have the option of continuing your short term disability or long term disability coverage. If you are currently receiving disability benefits they will continue while approved by the provider.
If you leave the university, cease to be a benefit eligible employee, or retire up to one year of unused accrued vacation time will be paid out.
Maximum hours paid out Accordion Closed
Below are the maximum hours that can be paid out based on based on 40 hours per week employee or 1.0 FTE.
|Classified Employees||Less than two years||88|
|Two years up to four years||128|
|Four years or more||176|
|Appointed Employees||All service||176|
|Post-doctoral scholars||All service||0|
If you leave the university or cease to be a benefit eligible employee, your accrued sick time is not paid out. If you return to the university in less than one year, your sick leave balance will be reinstated.
If you participate in a primary or supplemental retirement plan and are leaving the university but not retiring, you may be eligible to:
- request a refund or distributions of your employee contributions, vested employer contributions if any, and interest earned on these amounts;
- roll over your retirement funds to an IRA or other qualified retirement plan; or
- leave your contributions on deposit for a future benefit.
Contact your retirement plan or investment manager to review your options or to request a refund or distribution.
Distributions taken before age 59½ that are not rolled over to an IRA or other qualified retirement plan may be subject to taxes and penalties.
Exception Accordion Closed
Retiree Health Care Accordion Closed
You must be an active benefit eligible employee on the first day of classes for the semester in order to use the educational assistance benefit.
If you have been approved for educational assistance for a semester that begins after you leave the university you will not be eligible for educational assistance for that semester.