Remote employee instructions
It is our privilege to congratulate and welcome you to your new employment with Northern Arizona University. During this exciting time of starting a new job, we want to make sure that you understand the pre-employment processes as a remote employee which includes the Remote Employee Hiring Packet, Remote Form I-9 and NAU Notary Public Form.
Remote Employee Hiring Packet
The hiring department will provide you with the paper-based remote employee hiring packet that must be completed, signed and returned to HR no later than the third business day following your hire date to prevent any employment delays. You can print out or download the packet and you must complete each section of the hiring packet (see list below) or it will not be accepted. For more detailed information, see the links to detailed instructions in the right sidebars.
- Personal Information – your name, social security number, contact information, etc.
- Permanent Mailing Address – if different from your physical address.
- Emergency Contact
- Level of Education – the highest level of education you have completed.
- State and Federal Tax declarations
- Direct Deposit – refer to Attachment “A” on how to set up direct deposit as a remote employee.
- Selective Service – mark your certification.
- Affordable Care Action Information – attached as Attachment “B” at the end of your hiring packet.
- Conviction Disclosure – if applicable
- Veteran Status -declare your classification.
- Invitation to Self-Identity – select your ethnicity and race.
- Voluntary Self-Identity of Disability
- Loyalty Oath – mark option, enter Arizona County, your department and legal name.
- Final Instructions – review and refer to Remote NAU Form I-9 processing below.
- Mailing Hiring Packet – where to mail your hiring packet using a secured mailing.
- Signature – with this signature you certify that the information you provided is true and correct.
Remote Form I-9 Information
The revised Form I-9 is a required document in the new employee hiring process. The Remote Form I-9 processing is designed for employees, such as you, who cannot present their employment eligibility documents in person because you will be working at a remote location or online outside of the State of Arizona, but within the United States. To establish identity and employment eligibility, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) requires all employees to complete the Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, no later than the third business day after the hire date.
To complete the Form I-9, the employee must:
- Obtain the following information from the hiring department:
- Employment start date
- Form I-9 deadline dates
- Revised Form I-9
- Use the revised Form I-9.
- Download the latest version of the Adobe Reader to open the revised Form I-9.
- Complete Form I-9 Section 1, on or before first day of hire.
- Write N/A in the field(es) if you are not entering any information in Form I-9 Section 1.
- You must date and sign Section 1 in the presence of a Notary.
- Never use white-out or obliterate any information on the Form I-9.
- You can make all corrections by putting a straight single line through the wrong information and writing the correct information above or beside it, as space allows.
- Always initial (your initials) and date all corrections made or the notarized document will not be acceptable.
- Locate a Notary Public in your area (at your local bank or county offices).
- Provide your unexpired original identification documents to the Notary Public. Review acceptable documentation to present.
- NAU participates in eVerify; therefore, any identification from LIST B must bear a photograph to be accepted.
- Mail the original completed and signed hiring packet, Form I-9 with notarized photocopies of the employment authorization documents as presented (e.g. Passport, Driver’s License or Social Security card) and the NAU Notary Public Form to:
NAU Human Resources Office
411 S. Beaver Street
Flagstaff, AZ 86011
Form I-9 Steps
Step 1: Form I-9 Section 1 – Form I-9 Section 1 to be completed by the employee.
Step 2: Form I-9 Section 2 – Form I-9 Section 2 to be completed by the Notary.
Step 3: NAU Notary Public Form – To be completed by the Notary after the employee has presented documents.
Step 4: Mailing your packets and documents
Mail your hiring packet via secured mail service (such as FedEx). Be sure to include your Form I-9, Notary Public Form, and notarized photocopies of your employment identity and authorization documentation to:
NAU Human Resources
411 S. Beaver Street
Flagstaff, AZ 86011