Recruiting for diversity
Northern Arizona University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution. Supervisors are responsible for increasing representation of underrepresented groups as outlined in the Affirmative Action Plan.
Personal and professional networking
- Expect everyone in your department to be a recruiter for your open positions.
- Have each person be responsible for referring at least two individuals to your posting.
- Don’t pass up recruiting currently-employed colleagues.
- Identify minority organizations and send job postings.
- Make a personal phone call and discuss your opening with the organization.
Culturally-aware job announcements
- Write your job announcement with diversity and cultural awareness in mind.
- Don’t rely on Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action statements.
- A well-written ad or announcement will attract a more diverse pool of applicants.
Give a job posting enough time
- Work with Human Resources to understand the diversity of your pool as it develops.
- Consider keeping the posting open longer if the diversity is not sufficient.
- Don’t stop recruiting until the job closes.