Prepare to Post a Job
Approval to recruit
Create a position announcement for the vacancy. All vacancy announcements and job advertisements must include language regarding NAU’s commitment to diversity and a statement alerting the candidates of a mandatory background investigation.
Determine if the position is:
- Safety/Security Sensitive, use the Safety/Security Sensitive Identification Tool. If the position is deemed Safety/Security Sensitive, the candidate will be subject to fingerprint investigation.
- Underrepresented by women and minorities, access the Affirmative Action Plan, where you can find the Affirmative Action goals for this position. Please be sure you enter the percentages on the HireSmart! Checklist. Once you have identified the goals, you should create a recruitment plan that advertises/recruits women and minorities effectively. Human Resources and the Equity and Access Office can assist you with identifying good recruitment sources. If there are no percentages listed, then the job you are hiring for is not underrepresented by women and minorities. For more information contact the Equity and Access Office by email or phone: 928-523-3312.
*Reminder: You must enter the percentages of the Affirmative Action goals for women and minorities on the HireSmart! Checklist.
Complete an ePOST automated requisition and submit to the appropriate approvers. The initiator will receive an email that that the position has been posted and it is ready for review.
- Classified Staff job descriptions were created as part of the tri-university classification system and as such, minimum qualifications CANNOT be changed. Departments may, however, clarify or provide examples of these qualifications. (If qualification states “Bachelor’s degree in field appropriate to area of assignment”, department can define what fields are appropriate such as Communications, Journalism or Public Affairs). Job descriptions must be similar in nature to the ABOR approved descriptions and your Employment and Compensation Analyst will review your submissions for accuracy prior to the job being posted on the HR website.
- Service Professional job descriptions are created by departments in consultation with Human Resources. Some positions may be unique to a department while others are developed as generic and can be used by multiple departments.
If advertising is desired, complete an Online Advertising Request. For assistance, please contact the HR Advertising team. When advertising, consider how to increase the diversity of your applicant pool by checking the Affirmative Action Plan developed by the Equity and Access Office. For more information, please visit the Advertising webpage.
All advertising must include:
- The language that women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
- Language indicating that NAU is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and supports the hiring of minorities, women and disabled veterans. Acceptable abbreviations include, “NAU is an AA/EEO/MWDV employer”.
*Reminder: You must submit copies of any advertisements with the HireSmart! Checklist.