June 2019 HR Announcements
NAU Human Resources would like to draw your attention to some important new announcements.
Supervisors, department liaisons, and co-workers are encouraged to print and post important announcement updates in units where NAU employees may not use their email accounts or work on computers on a regular basis.
New Performance Appraisal Tracking Tool
A new tool is now available in LOUIE to help employees, supervisors and department administrative staff have more immediate access to information about an employee’s last completed appraisal and when the next one is due. It will also more easily allow updates and reminders to be provided to supervisors as they manage those due dates for annual and probationary appraisals.
The tool will report only on the employee types who have appraisal information tracked in LOUIE:
- classified staff
- service professionals
- post-doctoral scholars
Individual employees will be able to see their last appraisal completion date, the last rating and the next due date, as well as, the supervisor on record to complete that next appraisal.
Supervisors of the above employee types will be able to see the last completion date, the last rating and the next due date for all their direct reports. They’ll also be able to see this information for any employees who report up through those direct reports.
Department administrative staff who help department heads manage and monitor appraisal completion can, with the approval of their supervisor, request a role in LOUIE that allows them to only view the last completion dates and next due dates for that department’s employees.
This tracking tool is simply to provide timely information about what appraisals need to be completed and when they are due. All other aspects of the performance appraisal process will remain the same: the forms used, the process for completing them and the submission of the final signed forms to Human Resources.
For more information about where to access the tracking tool, understanding the data, downloading reports and how to report information you feel needs updating, please visit the Performance Appraisal Tracking Tool webpage.
For more information on completing the 2018-2019 appraisal cycle which ends on June 30, 2019, please visit the Performance Management webpage. For upcoming trainings that provide an overview of the performance appraisal process or, for supervisors, writing the final appraisal, visit the HR Learning and Development webpage.
Finishing the 2018-2019 Performance Appraisal Cycle
The classified staff, service professional, and post-doctoral scholar performance appraisal period will end on June 30, 2019. All completed appraisals should be submitted to Human Resources by September 30, 2019. Here are some tips and reminders about the process:
Employees should write a self-appraisal and turn it into their supervisors.
- Employees may choose which self-appraisal format they prefer to use (unless otherwise directed by their supervisor).
- Visit the HR Forms Index to download one of the formats:
- Narrative version – no rating check boxes
- Ratings version – retains the rating check boxes
- Visit the Appraisal Form page for tips on writing the self-appraisal.
- Performance Appraisal Training (HR200) offers employees an overview of the process and the role they play in the process. Visit Register for Training to sign up.
Supervisors should request a Performance Appraisal – Self Assessment from their subordinates while preparing to write their final Performance Appraisal – Supervisor Assessment.
- Unlike the Self-Assessment, where there is an optional format, the appraisal form with five rating options is the only version that will be accepted as the Performance Appraisal – Supervisor Assessment.
- Please visit the HR Forms Index to ensure that you have the correct version.
- Supervisory training will be offered each month from June – September on Writing and Delivering the Appraisal (HR302). Visit Register for Training to sign up.
- This workshop offers supervisors guidance on writing the final appraisal and preparing for the meeting with the employee.
- Performance Appraisal Training (HR200) offers both employees and supervisors an overview of the appraisal process and the role each plays in the process. Visit Register for Training to sign up.
Visit the Performance Management pages for other resources including:
- Supervisor’s guide to unique situations (transfers, new hires, new supervisor)
- Sample forms and templates
- Goal setting for the new 2019-2020 appraisal cycle
Supervisors can use the new performance appraisal tracking form to confirm the due date for your next appraisal, as well as, for those you supervise. For more information, visit Performance Appraisal Tracking.
For any performance appraisal questions, email HR Performance Appraisals.
FY 2020 Renewal Notice of Appointments
Year two of electronic Notices of Appointment (NOA) has begun! The University Budget Office began releasing FY 2020 NOAs for appointed staff on Friday, May 31st. Once your NOA is released, you will receive an email that directs you to Self Service to review and accept your NOA. Please see the instructions noted below for more information.
Employees: View the NOA Employee Instructions for more information on reviewing and accepting your NOA.
Business Managers, Administrative Directors, JFR’s: Follow the NOA View History Instructions for more information on viewing NOAs for your areas.
*Please note- If you experience difficulties viewing your NOA, make sure your browser is set to allow popups.
Learning and Development Opportunities – Summer 2019
Check out the summer training calendar of professional development sessions offered for employees.
Summer flexible parking – May 13th – August 23rd
Throughout the summer and during the University’s winter and spring break closures, the following parking zone exceptions apply:
- Commuter permit holders may park in any Commuter lot;
- Resident permit holders may park in any Resident lot or in any Commuter lot;
- Parking Garage permit holders may park in any Employee, Resident, or Commuter lot (except SkyView residents who may only park in the SkyView Garage); and
- Employee permit holders may park in any Resident or Commuter
ecoPASS Program –
University Transit Services invests over $60,000 annually in support of the program. A recent change in the Federal Tax code has now applied a 21% tax on the program. As we wish to continue providing this benefit to campus employees, beginning July 1, 2019 a fee of $25 for the year will be required from each participant. A regular adult monthly pass is $37 for the first month and $34 for each month; an annual value of $411. We have reached out to eligible participants via email if they wish to renew and the $25 fee will post to Louie after July 1st.
New Virtual Permit System begins August 1st
University Transit Services recently released information about switching to a license plate recognition (LPR) system starting this fall semester. If you have questions, please review our FAQ page or call us.
Benefits of an LPR system:
- Switching between two registered vehicles without needing to move a permit
- No more worrying about retrieving the sticker from a totaled vehicle
- No more temporary paper permit or waiting for a mailed sticker- virtual permits are immediately valid!
- Cannot be lost, stolen or falsified
- Convenient online self-service = less paperwork and less waiting in line!
- Lower environmental impact (less wasted plastic, ink and paper!)
- No sticker to move if replacing windshield
Employee Assistance and Wellness
President’s HealthyU Wellness Walk
Tuesday, June 25, 12 noon
Walk: Blue and Gold 5 K
Join us for Bites and Hikes walks with the Office of the President, Campus Recreation, Employee Assistance and Wellness, and Campus Dining. This walk will be canceled if there is thunder/lightening. Be sure to wear sturdy walking shoes, sunscreen and carry a water bottle. There will be snacks available after the walk courtesy of the Office of the President. Registration is not required. All are welcome.
For more information or find out if the walk has been cancelled, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join HealthyU, a wellness program open to NAU employees with NAU Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona health insurance.
Earn up to $300 per year for taking part in health and wellness, fitness, or volunteer activities and for using alternative transportation. Register and log points at azblue.com. Find more information at nau.edu/healthyu.