July 2019 HR Announcements
NAU Human Resources would like to draw your attention to some important new announcements.
Supervisors, department liaisons, and co-workers are encouraged to print and post important announcement updates in units where NAU employees may not use their email accounts or work on computers on a regular basis.
ASRS CONTRIBUTION RATE CHANGE
The Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) total contribution rate for employees and employers will increase to 12.11% from the current rate of 11.80% for fiscal year 2020 which runs from July 1, 2019 through June 30, 2020. Contribution rates are actuarially determined and approved by the ASRS Board of Trustees. More information is available on the ASRS website.
The Alternate Contribution Rate (ACR), for employers who hire ASRS retirees who return to work, will decrease to 10.41% from the current rate of 10.53% for fiscal year 2020. More information regarding ACR is available on the ASRS website.
The new contributions rates, effective July 1, 2019, will be reflected on the paycheck of July 19, 2019.
Fiscal Year Working Day Changes affect some bi-weekly pay rates:
The increase or decrease in the number of working days in a fiscal year affects the biweekly pay rates for employees who are paid an annual contracted salary amount, which remains the same and does not change based on the number of working days in the fiscal year. Each fiscal year the number of working days can vary between 260 and 262 days. Employees affected with an increase or decrease in their biweekly rate of pay due to the change in the number of working days includes service professionals, academic professionals, post-doctoral scholars, faculty, and administrators who are paid over 12 months.
This change does not affect employees who are paid a straight biweekly rate (classified staff and biweekly temporaries) or “hourly” employees. These employees will not see any increase or decrease in their biweekly rate as they are paid for each day worked during the fiscal year.
For Fiscal Year 2020 the number of working days has increased from 260 to 262 days and the first check impacted by these changes will be Friday, July 19, 2019.
Below are examples of the pay rate differences based on the number of working days per year.
Annual Salary $59,517
260 working days biweekly amount $2289.12
261 working days biweekly amount $2280.34
262 working days biweekly amount $2271.64
Annual Salary $129,780
260 working days biweekly amount $4991.54
261 working days biweekly amount $4972.41
262 working days biweekly amount $4953.44
Learning and Development Opportunities – Summer 2019
Check out the summer training calendar of professional development sessions offered for employees. For a complete list of offerings through the rest of the summer, please click on the Learning and Development” link from L&D page.
Please note that there is only ONE New Employee Welcome (NEW) class (HR110) in July – on Thursday, July 11. There will also be a one-time Benefits Orientation class (HR101) on Thursday, July 18, for folks who can’t attend NEW until August 2. Please enroll for both in Louie.
Campus Recreation’s open enrollment for Payroll Deduction (PD) opens on Monday 7/1/19 and closes Saturday 8/31/19. This program allows you to take the overall cost of a membership with Campus Recreation and split it over 18 pay periods (payments start September 13, 2019 and ending on May 22nd, 2020). If you have ever been interested in using our facilities then now is the perfect time to get involved. The membership itself begins the day you sign-up (between 7/1/19-8/31/19) and expires August 31st 2020. That’s a 14 month membership for the price of 12! Below are some quick tips when signing up for these memberships.
- Come to the recreation or aquatic center front desk (building 25 and 86 respectively) to complete the payroll deduction form. All purchases must be completed in person.
- Front desk employees will process the form (get ready to sign some receipts)! After the form is processed you will receive a receipt for your purchase.
- MemberServices@nau.edu will email you a confirmation of receiving your form within 3 business days after it has been received. If you have not received an email by this time, please reach out to ensure that your form was received.
Please send any questions to Jason St. Clair at Jason.Stfirstname.lastname@example.org or 928-523-7687. We look forward to seeing you soon!
New Performance Appraisal Tracking Tool
A new tool is now available in LOUIE to help employees, supervisors and department administrative staff have immediate access to information about an employee’s last completed appraisal and when the next one is due. It will also more easily allow updates and reminders to be provided to supervisors as they manage those due dates for annual and probationary appraisals.
The tool will report only on the employee types who have appraisal information tracked in LOUIE:
- classified staff
- service professionals
- post-doctoral scholars
Individual employees will be able to see their last appraisal completion date, the last rating and the next due date, as well as, the supervisor on record to complete that next appraisal.
Supervisors of those employee types will be able to see the last completion date, the last rating and the next due date for all their direct reports. They’ll also be able to see this information for any employees who report up through those direct reports.
Department administrative staff who help department heads manage and monitor appraisal completion can, with the approval of their supervisor, request a role in LOUIE that allows them to view the last completion dates and next due dates (not the ratings) for that department’s employees.
This tracking tool is simply to provide timely information about what appraisals need to be completed and when they are due. All other aspects of the performance appraisal process will remain the same: the forms used, the process for completing them and the submission of the final signed forms to Human Resources.
For more information about where to access the tracking tool, understanding the data, downloading reports and how to report information you feel needs updating, please visit the Performance Appraisal Tracking Tool webpage.
For more information on completing the 2018-2019 appraisal cycle which ended on June 30, 2019, please visit the Performance Management webpage. For upcoming trainings that provide an overview of the performance appraisal process or, for supervisors, writing the final appraisal, visit the HR Learning and Development webpage.
Finishing the 2018-2019 Performance Appraisal Cycle
The classified staff, service professional, and post-doctoral scholar performance appraisal period ended on June 30, 2019. All completed appraisals should be submitted to Human Resources by September 30, 2019. Here are some tips and reminders about the process:
- Employees should write a self-appraisal and turn it into their supervisors.
- Employees may choose which self-appraisal format they prefer to use (unless otherwise directed by their supervisor).
- Visit the HR Forms Index to download one of the formats:
- Narrative version – no rating check boxes
- Ratings version – retains the rating check boxes
- Visit the Appraisal Form page for tips on writing the self-appraisal.
- Performance Appraisal Training (HR200) offers employees an overview of the process and the role they play in the process. The next session is on Wednesday, July 10. Visit Register for Training to sign up.
- Supervisors should request a Performance Appraisal – Self Assessment from their subordinates while preparing to write their final Performance Appraisal – Supervisor Assessment.
- Unlike the Self-Assessment, where there is an optional format, the appraisal form with five rating options is the only version that will be accepted as the Performance Appraisal – Supervisor Assessment.
- Please visit the HR Forms Index to ensure that you have the correct version.
- Supervisory training will be offered each month from June – September on Writing and Delivering the Appraisal (HR302). The next session is on Tuesday, July 23. Visit Register for Training to sign up.
- This workshop offers supervisors guidance on writing the final appraisal and preparing for the meeting with the employee.
- Performance Appraisal Training (HR200) offers both employees and supervisors an overview of the appraisal process and the role each plays in the process. The next session is on Wednesday, July 10. Visit Register for Training to sign up.
Visit the performance Management pages for other resources including:
- Supervisor’s guide to unique situations (transfers, new hires, new supervisor)
- Sample forms and templates
- Goal setting for the new 2019-2020 appraisal cycle
Supervisors can use the new performance appraisal tracking form to confirm the due date for your next appraisal, as well as, for those you supervise. For more information, visit Performance Appraisal Tracking.
For any performance appraisal questions, email HR Performance Appraisals.
Employee Assistance and Wellness
Foundation Training 101
Wednesdays, July 3 – August 14, 12:15 – 1 pm
HLC Recreation Center, multi-purpose gym (MPG)
We don’t chase range of motion, we focus on length under tension – Foundation Training focuses on both! The load is not what breaks you down it’s how you carry it. We accumulate good and bad movement patterns, it happens slow and steady, a little bit every day can either build you up or break you down. Your movement is your responsibility. Come learn how to incorporate your whole body retraining to support itself again.
To register, please visit the Recreation Center front desk.
Climb to Conquer Cancer with NAU HealthyU!
Saturday, August 17, 7 am – 12 noon
Join the HealthyU NAU Climb to Conquer Cancer team! Thanks to NAU’s commitment to promoting health and wellness, the Office of the President will cover the entry fee of the first 100 people who register for this popular event.
Funds raised through American Cancer Society Flagstaff Climb to Conquer Cancer event support the fight to end cancer and help people take steps to reduce their risk of cancer or find it early when it is most treatable.
For more information or to join the HealthyU NAU team, please visit Climb to Conquer Cancer of Flagstaff and enter this code: NAUPREZ2019.