Welcome to the electronic version of the Hire Smart! Toolkit web page. If you are participating in a search, you are responsible for knowing and following the hiring process as outlined in this Hire Smart! Toolkit. The chair of the selection committee is responsible for completing the HireSmart! Checklist that will document each step of the process. The Hire Smart! Checklist must be submitted to the Human Resources with all of the hiring documentation at the conclusion of the search.
This toolkit contains in-depth instructions on:
- How to accurately complete the Hire Smart! Checklist in its entirety.
- The steps required to successfully recruit, interview, hire and close the position, as outlined below.
- How to organize the hiring documentation prior to submission to the HR office with the Hire Smart! Checklist.
If at any time you need assistance with items related to NAU policy and procedure, including but not limited to, salary equity, legality of interview questions, or matrix creation, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition Coordinator.
Classified Staff and Service Professional Process
To properly document a fair and legal hiring process from start to finish, you can navigate through the process below.
- Approval to recruit
- Job descriptions
- Establish a committee
- Create a Matrix
- Interview questions & agenda
- Close position
- Retrieve applications
- Review diversity
- Score applications on Matrix
- Determine who to interview
- Conduct interviews
- Conduct testing
- Reference check
- Background check
Gather all the information discovered through your hiring process and, with your committee, evaluate the candidates’ abilities to perform in the position.
- Create a hiring memo
- Communicate with candidates
- Document your process
- Next steps