Evaluate Your Candidates
Making a Good Hiring Decision
You have gathered information about your candidates through:
- Application materials
- Phone interviews (optional)
- In person or Skype interviews
- Testing, presentations or “sample work” (optional)
- Reference Checks
Now, how do you make a good, thoughtful and defensible decision?
Review the job description, application matrix, interview notes and reference checks
- What are the key responsibilities of the position?
- Which candidates have the most experience with these tasks?
- Which candidates were able to demonstrate their abilities best during the interviews, testing and other interactions?
- What did the references reveal in terms of the candidates abilities to perform the key job functions?
Which candidate do you feel is best and why?
- Use your committee. Do you all agree? What are the differences? How can you use the job description to reach a consensus?
- Tie your decision back to the job description and take some notes that you can use to create your hiring memo to include with your HireSmart! Checklist
- Stuck? Contact your Employment and Compensation Analyst for help.