Sustainability Action Plan: Energy & Climate
The campus strives to reach carbon neutrality.
Sustainability Action Plan
Energy & Climate Section
Objective 1: Complete administrative actions to develop the necessary foundation for achieving climate neutrality goal
Objective 2: Implement diverse and comprehensive energy conservation programs
Objective 3: Implement energy efficiency policies and upgrades
Objective 4: Utilize renewable energy
- The campus has an overall reduction of campus electricity consumption per square foot by 20% and its natural gas use per square foot by 31% since 2002. During this time there was an overall increase in the student population of 6,750 and an increase in campus square footage of 50%. (Last updated 2015)
- In 2014, NAU made a 18 million dollar investment in a campus wide energy efficiency retrofit and conservation program
- NAU purchases 15% of our electricity from renewable energy sources. Renewable Energy Certificates
- We’ve completed a $68,883 investment in a biomass feasibility study to determine the potential for bringing a biomass plant to campus and are currently assessing next steps
- Faculty and staff can become Energy Mentors and help NAU use resources more efficiently
- Faculty, staff, and students can join the Energy Action Team which mission is to help NAU reach climate neutrality
- We’ve recently installed an EnergyCap program that will monitor the energy and water use of campus buildings to help in detecting problem buildings and to help educate building occupants
- NAU has installed 21 electric vehicle charging stations across campus
- We have multiple sources of renewable energy on campus: four wind turbines (at the ARD building, outside the HRM, and two turbines at the Solar Shack). We also have a 163 kWh solar field on south campus, multiple installations of solar hot water heaters, and an innovative installation of solar hot air heaters.
Join NAU’s Energy Action Team!