Green Labs Certification Program
What is the Green Labs Program? Accordion Closed
The Green Labs Program is a collaboration between the Office of Sustainability and Environmental Health & Safety with the goal to minimize the environmental impact, and inspire and promote a culture of sustainability in laboratories at NAU. We have developed educational information with waste metrics, and a checklist for labs to complete to become a Certified Green Lab.
Why Participate in the Program? Accordion Closed
The total amount of hazardous and non-hazardous waste generated from labs on campus has been increasing, and has averaged 50,766 lbs/year since 2015. The costs associated with properly handling the waste has also increased, with an average annual cost of $58,364. Laboratories also contribute to about 9% of NAU’s total energy use, or about 28 million kWh per year.
As a Certified Green Lab you will have the opportunity to cultivate a positive impact on people, planet, and profit, the three pillars of sustainability. Sustainable laboratories is a growing field, and this program lays out the foundation for your lab to be a leader in this field and demonstrate your commitment to sustainability. To learn more about the positive impacts in this field join the Green Labs group on Constellation, a platform available to anyone to communicate with other Green Labs in Arizona. There is also more information on NAU’s Green Labs Program, and research in the field on sustainable laboratories.
4 Easy Steps! Accordion Closed
- Download the Certification Checklist, and get started to become certified
- Go through the checklist and follow the prompts
- Once you complete the Checklist, save a copy and then submit the spreadsheet and the signed Green Labs Program Pledge to email@example.com
- Meet with your Green Labs Coordinator to go over the checklist, and advance on the sustainable improvements in your lab to achieve a higher level of the certification
Resources Accordion Closed
- NAU Green Labs Program Checklist Guidance Presentation
- Green Labs Program Pledge
- Green Labs Educational Brochure
- Virtual Pilot Program Survey (coming soon / apply link)
- Register for the Freezer Challenge
- Green Office Certification Program
A few Ideas for Creating a more Sustainable Lab: