NAU’s Environmental Caucus
Keeping NAU green
By promoting conservation education, innovative research, and sustainable operations, we’re keeping our commitment to a green campus.
We are proud to take a proactive stance on creating a sustainable future for NAU and the Flagstaff community. The Environmental Caucus also has seven Action Teams, each with a different focus, that function as an advisory team for sustainability on campus. We are currently rebuilding and restructuring our Action Teams, while we continue to make an impact on campus.
The Environmental Caucus is representative of the Office of Sustainability and is the primary avenue for public input and engagement around campus sustainability initiatives. The Caucus is committed to connecting the NAU and Flagstaff communities through sharing information between NAU and the Flagstaff community to discuss sustainability strategies. The Caucus is open to the community and meets monthly from 12:00 pm to 1:15 pm.
Meeting dates and locations for the Fall 2023 semester are as follows:
- September 15: Grand Canyon Room, upstairs in the University Union
- October 20: Grand Canyon Room, upstairs in the University Union
- November 17: Walnut AB Room, upstairs in the University Union
- December 8: Grand Canyon Room, upstairs in the University Union
Meeting dates and locations for the Spring 2024 semester are as follows:
- January 26: Grand Canyon Room, upstairs in the University Union
- February 23: Grand Canyon Room, upstairs in the University Union
- March 29: Grand Canyon Room, upstairs in the University Union
- April 26: Grand Canyon Room, upstairs in the University Union
If you would prefer to join the conversation via Zoom, join through this link:
Sustainability Leadership Awards
Each year, the Environmental Caucus awards outstanding efforts of students and community members for their work on green initiatives. We are proud to have a positive impact on the environment in and around Flagstaff, and enjoy recognizing those who make a difference! For more information or to submit a nomination, visit the Sustainability Leadership Awards website.
Action Teams Accordion Closed
Our seven Action Teams – Communications, Energy, Sustainable Landscaping, Transportation, Academics, Justice, and Waste Minimization – engage the entire community, spreading awareness and understanding about the structure and purpose of sustainability-related organizations and initiatives on campus. They:
- create a way to market new and existing sustainability initiatives
- evaluate, support, promote, and improve sustainable transportation alternatives at NAU
- investigate opportunities and engage key stakeholders across campus in an effort to decrease NAU’s climate impact
- implement diverse initiatives to decrease chemical use in our campus landscapes and promote pollinator habitats
- develop strategies for waste minimization
Be the guest speaker Accordion Closed
Each month, we feature a guest speaker to share a topic related to our mission. If you would like to be a guest speaker at one of our upcoming meetings, please send us an email.
Mission and values Accordion Closed
We are a grassroots, volunteer group – our informal structure allows flexibility in producing effective and creative results. Our Steering Committee guides our work, approving recommendations that are brought before the Caucus at monthly meetings. The Action Teams advance the institutional commitment to sustainability and help promote education, research, and projects that positively impact the environment.
Steering Committee Accordion Closed
Our Steering Committee serves two-year rotating terms as our official operational body. Members come from diverse backgrounds and represent various university departments. The Steering Committee meets one week before the monthly Caucus meeting to plan upcoming meetings and discuss ways to incorporate sustainable initiatives at NAU.
- Erik Nielsen: Chair, Chief Sustainability Officer; Professor, School of Earth and Sustainability
If you’re interested in applying to be a member of the Steering Committee, please send us an application for consideration. Email the Steering Committee for more information.
Connect to Green NAU Accordion Closed
The Environmental Caucus works in concert with Green NAU, and we invite you to explore their mission and interests as well. Together, we can all make a difference! Join the Green NAU community:
- Share ideas on initiatives that promote a more sustainable future
- discuss nominations for NAU Sustainable Leadership Awards
- plan upcoming community events to promote sustainability
Support the Environmental Caucus Accordion Closed
As a strictly volunteer association, the Environmental Caucus is one of the few, if not the only, group on campus where students, faculty, and staff interact as peers and work actively to brainstorm, share information, and put ideas into action. Financial donations are appreciated and will help us further our work and support green causes across campus.