Career Connection Lesson Plans
- Mathematics (Coral Bleaching) with Scripps Oceanic Institute
- Science (Equine Genetics) with UA Animal Science
- Science (Pulse rates) with GCU Sports Medicine
- Social Studies (Civilizations) with SCC Culinary Arts
- Social Studies (Social Justice) with RIO Criminal Justice
- Social Studies (Trade Restrictions) with TSGM Global Management
- Social Studies, Science (Endangered Species) with NAU Natural Sciences
- Speaking Skills (Emergency) with NAU Emergency Management
- Writing (Journalism) with ASU Journalism
- Writing Across Curriculum (Creative Writing) with UA Performing Arts
College & Career Connections
Each College and Career Connections lesson links a middle grade standard from the AZCCRS to a specific career, and also to a related program of study at a nearby college or university (For example in one Connections, ELA Standard 8.W.2 is linked with Journalism, a program of study offered at ASU’s Cronkite School of Journalism). Intriguing applications, high-impact practices and authentic assessments encourage strong student engagement. Connections lessons help students see their middle grade studies in the context of realistic and relevant activities in the world outside the classroom and contribute to building a college-going culture by stimulating discussion of career possibilities and pathways. The Connections lessons are teachable as they are written or can be easily modified.
Features of College and Career Connections:
Topics: Equine Genetics (Life Science), Journalism (Writing), Coral Bleaching (Statistics), Safe and Effective Exercise (Science; Inquiry Process), Tariffs and Trade Restrictions (Social Studies), Endangered Species (Science, Social Studies), Emergency Readiness (ELA; Speaking), Creative Writing (Writing Across the Curriculum), Social Justice (Social Studies; Civics) and Civilizations (Social Studies)
Schools: Arizona State University, Northern Arizona University, University of Arizona, Grand Canyon University, Scottsdale Community College, Rio Salado Community College, Thunderbird School of Global Management and Scripps Oceanic Institute
Careers: Journalism, Marine Biology, Sports Medicine, International Trade, Environmental Science, Emergency Planning, Performing Arts, Equine Management, Culinary Arts and Criminal Justice
Activities: Creative Writing, Debate, Jigsaw, Presentations, Peer Editing, Group Quizzes, Reflections, Persuasive Writing and Pair-Square-Share.
Connections highlight Arizona standards that are already embedded in your district’s curriculum!