Responsibilities and Procedures
When a student encounters a problem on campus or feels she/he has been treated unfairly, the student should first try to resolve the issue informally with the faculty/staff member or department directly involved. Many issues can be resolved if a student makes an appointment with a faculty or staff member and calmly and honestly communicates their concerns.
If the student is not satisfied with the response from the department, the student may initiate a formal written complaint (via paper or electronically). Formal written complaints must be signed by the student (including electronic or digital signatures clearly attributable to the student). For example, the student’s name in an email message received from his or her official ISU email account.
Please note that all formal complaints through this website online form (to be linked) are automatically tagged with the Net-ID used to login to the form. This ensures that the complaint is clearly attributable to the student.
A complaint reported by telephone will not be considered as submitted for review.
Guidance on what to include in a formal written complaint is provided below:
- Student full legal name (as enrolled)
- Mailing address
- Your preferred email address
- Telephone number
- NAU userid
- Last term of enrollment (if not currently enrolled)
- First date on which the events or issues occurred
- Name(s) of the persons/departments involved
- Describe your complaint in detail. Include the names (and titles) of persons, locations, and dates.
- What attempts have you made to resolve this complaint? Include information on who you contacted, dates, and outcome.
- What resolution do you seek (feel would be fair)?
A formal written complaint will be routed with the appropriate administrative office, based on the type of complaint. The list below shows where a formal complaint through this website’s online form will be sent:
Complaints related to a specific academic college should be filed with the appropriate college Dean:
- College of Arts and Letters: CAL Dean’s Office
- College of Education: Ramona Mellott
- College of Engineering, Forestry, and Natural Sciences: CEFNS Dean’s Office
- College of Health and Human Services CHHS Dean’s Office
- College of Social and Behavioral Sciences: SBS Dean’s Office
- W.A. Franke College of Business: W.A. Franke Dean’s Office
- Graduate College Maribeth Watwood
- Honors George Gummerman
All other academic complaints or if student is unsure of appropriate college:
- Office of the Provost: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Residence halls, dining, or the University Union: email@example.com
- Admissions or student financial aid: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Registrar’s office: email@example.com
- Information Technology Services: Ask-STC@nau.edu
- Student and Departmental Account Services: SDAS@nau.edu
- All other non-academic complaints: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Student-athlete complaints: Robyn.Sharp@nau.edu
NOTE: A student’s complaint may be forwarded to another office if it can be best addressed by another department