Student means any individual for whom Northern Arizona University, an institution of post-secondary education, maintains education records, but does not include an individual who has never been in attendance at Northern Arizona University.
Directory information means a student’s name, address, e-mail address, telephone number, major field of study, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, and the most recent previous educational agency or institution attended by the student.
Education record mean those records which are directly related to a student and are maintained by Northern Arizona University or by a person acting for Northern Arizona University and means information or data recorded in any medium, including, but not limited to photos, handwriting, print, tapes, film, microfilm, and microfiche. The term does not include:
- Records of instructional, supervisory, and administrative personnel and educational personnel ancillary thereto which are in the sole possession of the maker thereof and which are not accessible or revealed to any other person except a temporary substitute;
- The records and documents of the Northern Arizona University Police Department which are maintained apart from the above-defined education records and are maintained solely for law enforcement purposes, and are not disclosed to individuals other than law enforcement officials of the same jurisdiction;
- Records made and maintained in the normal course of business which relate exclusively to an individual employed by Northern Arizona University in that individual’s capacity as an employee and are not available for any other purpose;
- Records relating to a student which are created or maintained by a physician, psychiatrist, psychologist, or other recognized professional or paraprofessional acting in his or her professional or paraprofessional capacity, or assisting in that capacity, and which are created, maintained, or used only in connection with the provision of treatment to the student, and are not disclosed to anyone other than individuals providing such treatment, provided, however, that such records can be personally reviewed by a physician or other appropriate professional of the student’s choice; and
- Records of Northern Arizona University which contain only information relating to a person after that person is no longer a student at Northern Arizona University, e.g., information pertaining to the accomplishments of Northern Arizona University alumni.
Disclosure means permitting access or the release, transfer, or other communication of education records of the student or the personally identifiable information contained therein, orally or in writing, or by electronic means, or by any other means to any party.
Personally identifiable means that the data or information includes: the name of a student, the student’s parent or other family member; the address of the student, a personal identifier, such as the student’s social security number or student number; a list of personal characteristics which would make the student’s identity easily traceable, or other information which would make the student’s identity easily traceable.
Office of the Registrar means the administrative office bearing such title and its designee.