Journals & Publications
A wealth of high-quality publications on pedagogy and issues in higher education are available at no charge to Northern Arizona University faculty and staff. Explore these journals and other resources below.
Northern Arizona University subscriptions
These journals are free for members of the Northern Arizona University community. Access them from campus or through the university VPN.
- Teaching Professor provides ideas, insights and best pedagogical practices to educators who are passionate about teaching. Published 10 times per year.
- College Teaching is a cross-disciplinary journal that focuses on how teachers can improve student learning.
The Journal on Excellence in College Teaching
- This peer-reviewed journal published at Miami University by and for faculty at universities and colleges aims to increase student learning through:
- effective teaching
- interest in and enthusiasm for the profession of teaching
- communication among faculty about their classroom experiences
Open access journals
Take advantage of these open access informative journals.
Kennesaw State University
- KSU offers a Teaching Journal Directory
MERLOT Journal of Online Learning and Teaching
- Journal of Online Learning and Teaching is a peer-reviewed, open-access, online publication that aims to promote scholarship in the use of the Internet and web-based multimedia resources in higher education.
Student Success: A journal exploring the experience of students in tertiary education (Int J FYHE)
- This journal focuses on enhancing the experience of commencing students.
- Academic and professional staff involved in first-year programs, as well as senior managers with responsibility for first-year strategies, may find it useful.
International Journal for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (IJ-SoTL)
- The IJ-So TL is a peer-reviewed international electronic journal published twice a year by the Center for Teaching, Learning, and Scholarship at Georgia Southern University.
- It is a vehicle for articles, essays, and discussions about the scholarship of teaching and learning (SoTL) and its applications in higher education.
The International Journal of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education (IJTLHE)
- The IJTLHE provides a forum for higher education faculty, staff, administrators, researchers, and students who are interested in improving post-secondary instruction.
- The journal covers higher education pedagogy and the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) across diverse content areas, institutions, and levels of experience.
Journal of University Teaching and Learning Practice (JUTLP)
- The JUTLP is a bi-annual, peer-reviewed journal.
- It aims to provide a forum for educators in a wide range of disciplines to communicate their teaching outcomes in a scholarly way. Its purpose is to bridge the gap between journals covering purely academic research and more pragmatic articles and opinions.
Learning and Teaching in Higher Education (LATHE)
- LATHE is an interdisciplinary journal that publishes scholarly articles, book reviews and case studies on learning, teaching, and assessment in higher education. It provides an international forum for scholarly debate.
Practice and Evidence of the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education (PESTLHE)
- This journal offers an opportunity for those involved in university learning and teaching to share their experiences.
- It publishes accounts of scholarly practice focused on enhancing student learning. These accounts report on small-scale research that involves reflection, critique, and implications for future practice and are informed by relevant literature.
Transformative Dialogues: Teaching and Learning Journal (TD)
- This peer-reviewed online journal “facilitates the multi-disciplinary intellectual debate and inquiry, exchange of ideas, actions, and results of innovative and professional practice in the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning.”
- Faculty Focus provides brief articles on teaching topics written by faculty from across the country. This is a free subscription.
- The site covers issues such as:
- teaching strategies
- classroom management
- trends in higher education
- The site is also home to the Teaching Professor Blog.