Vehicle request procedures Accordion Closed
- Before submitting an official Vehicle Request to TSC, it is important to contact our dispatch office for vehicle availability information. Contacting TSC may be done by one of several ways:
- Filling out the online form
- Calling x-2469, or
- Visiting us in person
Note: Requesting departments should submit requests as far in advance as possible, not to exceed one semester.
- A completed Vehicle Request must follow the reservation and must be sent to this office before the user is to be assigned a vehicle.
Criteria for vehicle use Accordion Closed
In order to be equitable to all concerned, vehicles will be issued based on the following priorities:
- Teaching and/or course attendance.
- Official off-campus business.
- Full-time departmental use.
Licensing requirement Accordion Closed
- A valid drivers license is required by full-time faculty and staff for the use of any university vehicle. The dispatch office will verify licenses before departure.
- Drivers should be advised that it is a violation of university policy, and state law, to drive a university vehicle with a revoked or suspended license. To provide a false certification would be grounds for termination of employment with the university.
Proper use of a NAU vehicle Accordion Closed
Vehicles are intended solely for official university activities and are not to be used for any other purpose. The following are examples of unofficial use: Authority (ARS 38-538)
- Activities which are not sanctioned by the university.
- Transporting individuals who are not essential to the completion of the mission for which vehicle is dispatched. Examples: Family, Friends and Animals.
- Conducting personal business.
- Driving while impaired by alcohol or drugs.
- Driving with an expired or suspended drivers license.
- Speeding and unsafe operation.
- Exhibiting rude behavior while operating a vehicle.
- Parking in restricted areas such as “Disabled parking”, bike lanes and sidewalks.
- Carrying alcohol, controlled or illegal substances and weapons.
When you are driving a university vehicle, you represent the STATE OF ARIZONA. It behooves you to be courteous to other drivers. Obey all Local and State traffic Laws and exercise good common sense, as you are accountable for all of your actions.
Vehicle abuse Accordion Closed
TSC and NAU are responsible for routine and major repair maintenance of University vehicles. The individual operator and departments are responsible for the proper operation of the equipment. Users will be notified when vehicles are returned in abused and/or excessively dirty conditions. Departments or individuals may be billed for the actual cost of repair or cleaning.
Smoking is prohibited inside all NAU vehicles.
Travel in Mexico Accordion Closed
- Before fleet vehicles will be sent into Mexico, it is necessary for the traveler to make arrangements for obtaining Mexican Insurance by contacting a claims representative at 3-2009, the Office of Risk Management. You may also check out the information at Risk Managements site on obtaining Insurance for Travel in Mexico.
- Information required by Risk Management includes: Vehicle I.D. number, License number, Make, Model, and Capacity. TSC will furnish this information at the time of the reservation.
- Once a request for insurance has been completed, Risk Management will provide the traveler with an insurance package. This insurance package will be placed inside the vehicle at all times during travel. When the trip is completed, the insurance package must be sent back to the Office of Risk Management.
- Reimbursement for fuel purchases made in Mexico will be made by TSC under the current exchange amount.
Parking personal vehicles Accordion Closed
With a valid campus parking permit, TSC customers may park their personal vehicles in a designated area adjacent north and east of our main concourse.
Buses Accordion Closed
- Calls for requesting bus transportation should be directed to TSC at 523-2469.
- To allow sufficient time to effectively schedule mass transportation requirements, bus requisitions for an upcoming semester are due at TSC a minimum of two weeks prior to the first day of classes for that semester. On that day, the priority schedule for the semester will be established. After this day, the buses will be assigned on a first-come basis.
- In the event TSC buses are not available, an attempt will be made to contract with a local vendor for cost plus a service charge.
- Buses will be assigned under the following priorities:
- Classes (credit bearing courses).
- Support of educational programs.
- Athletic team travel.
- Other official University business.
- User Departments will be responsible for Bus Driver Room and Board on all overnight stays.
Cancellations Accordion Closed
- Every effort should be made to cancel vehicles when planned trips change.
- TSC reserves the right to bill a full day’s dispatch fee to departments which fail to cancel requested transportation 6 hours before the scheduled time of departure.
Checking out vehicles Accordion Closed
When travelers are ready to check out a university vehicle it is important to make sure a completed Vehicle Request is at our office. TSC will verify that all requirements are met and will check the vehicle out to the traveler. Weekday office hours are from 6:00 am to 5:00 pm during regular sessions, and 6:00 am to 4:30 pm in the summer.
Use of state fuel cards Accordion Closed
- At the time you check out a vehicle, a State of Arizona fuel card will be provided in each vehicle. This fuel card is valid at participating vendors for obtaining fuel, oil or minor services. If at all possible please refrain from using the fuel card within a 50 mile radius for Flagstaff. The fuel card may not, under any circumstances, be used to place fuel or minor repairs in any vehicle other than an NAU vehicle.
- If it should become necessary, due to station closure, or refusal to accept the State fuel card, the operator may purchase fuel using their own credit card or cash and will be promptly reimbursed from the TSC account. A receipt and Employee ID number is necessary before reimbursement can be made.
- Please, at all possible times, use self-service pumps.
After-hours checkout Accordion Closed
After shop hours check out is possible when prior arrangements are made with TSC. Keys for the vehicles picked up during non-working must be obtained prior to the close of business on the last working day before the scheduled departure.
Returning vehicles Accordion Closed
When a trip is complete, the vehicle is to be turned in promptly. It is extremely important that vehicles be returned at the time indicated on the Vehicle Request. Departments failing to return a vehicle at the scheduled time will be billed an additional on day use fee, plus any expenses incurred if transportation is to be rearranged for another user scheduled to use the same vehicle.
Vehicles are not to be kept overnight at a personal residence in Flagstaff.
When returning a vehicle after duty hours, a key on the vehicle key ring will permit the traveler to enter through the north personnel door and into the vehicle storage area. upon entering, push the garage door button, on the right side of the entrance door. This will open the Large overhead door. Drive the vehicle into the building and head vehicle straight in, into an open parking space. Turn vehicle off and leave the keys in the ignition and please remember to leave the door to the vehicle unlocked. Upon leaving be sure to close overhead door and secure the small personnel door.
Reporting vehicle malfunctions Accordion Closed
A form will be affixed to the rear view mirror of the vehicle before you begin your trip. Please use this form to note any irregularity or dissatisfaction in your vehicle and leave the filled out form on the driver seat.
Extended dispatch and maintenance schedules Accordion Closed
- This section pertains to those departments which have continuing requirements for official University business travel. Vehicles in this category are leased full-time and are subject to rotation in order to equalize vehicle replacement plans. Departments with full-time use will be billed for actual miles traveled or at a monthly minimum rate.
- Requests for vehicles in this category must be fully justified and approved by the head of the requesting department and forwarded to the Fleet Manager. The Fleet Manager will notify the department on the availability and time necessary for fulfilling the request.
Preventative maintenance schedules
- It is the driver’s responsibility to conduct a weekly service check of assigned vehicle(s) in this category. A weekly inspection should include:
- Check oil and coolant levels
- Tire Pressure
- Report steering or braking problems
- Test safety equipment: horn, lights, wipers, turn signals, brake lights, and reflectors
- Inspect for damage
- Check for insurance packet
- Preventive Maintenance shall be scheduled by TSC at 5,000 miles or 6 month intervals, whichever occurs first. Please check your “next service” sticker located on the left corner of the windshield. A notice shall be mailed notifying the agency of the date the vehicle is scheduled for maintenance. Operators shall comply with the schedule, and, if unable to do so the operator shall call TSC to request a schedule change. Vehicles not brought in for scheduled services are subject to recall. Loaner vehicles are available for use, when the service is conducted at our facility. Please notify TSC at least a week before a scheduled service, if the service will be done at NAU and if a loaner vehicle is needed.
- If necessary to have a scheduled service conducted outside of our facility, please notify TSC as to vendor and estimated cost. In some instances it may be possible to have the service paid by the use of the State Fuel card. On any transaction completed off campus, it is imperative that TSC receives a copy of the completed work order.
Specially installed equipment
- Requests for specially installed equipment such as dash mats, radios, sirens, etc., shall be submitted in writing to the Fleet Manager. The using department shall be responsible for the procurement, installation and future removal of any added equipment.
Further information concerning extended use vehicles may be obtained by calling 523-6439.
Safeguarding state vehicles Accordion Closed
As with all state equipment assigned to you, you are expected to take every reasonable action to care for state vehicles. Failure to do so could result in disciplinary action.
Insurance Accordion Closed
It is the law to fasten your seat belts.
Accident reporting Accordion Closed
Emergencies Accordion Closed
Our emergency line is 928-523-4227
The vehicle shall be locked if it is necessary to leave it unattended. If it is necessary to signal for assistance on a roadway, the hood of the vehicle should be raised and the hazard flashers turned on.
Traffic citations Accordion Closed
- State vehicle operators are responsible for the prompt payment of fines for any moving and non-moving traffic citations, other than mechanical failure received while driving a University vehicle. Under no circumstances shall the citation be paid with University Funds.
- Citations received for mechanical failure shall be personally taken to the Fleet Manager.
Billing rate Accordion Closed
Fleet billing rates may vary from fiscal year to fiscal year depending upon the size of the fleet, cost of new vehicles, prices for fuel products, insurance, maintenance and repair costs. Updates of the current rate structure will be published by the Office of Business Affairs. Call the Dispatch Office at 523-2469 for current rate charges.
Billing procedure Accordion Closed
So that customers are up-to-date on transactions, billings for day rental vehicles is provided weekly through Peoplesoft. A copy of the priced out vehicle request will be sent to the using department.
Emergency telephone numbers Accordion Closed
For on road emergencies call 928-523-4227
Business hours Accordion Closed
Weekday and non-holiday dispatch office hours are from 6 am to 5 pm during regular semesters. Summer hours are from 6 am to 4:30 pm.
Thank you and drive safely!
- Quick facts
- For faculty, staff & building managers
- For design professionals & contractors
- Bids & RFQ’s
- Van training
- Insurance & Claims Services
- Fleet Services
- NAU postal changes
- NAU addressing proposal
- NAU reference map
- Office of the Fire Marshal
- FS organization chart
- FS new hire training info
- Facility Services student employment application pdf
- Current construction