The base navigation for NAU’s Blackboard Learn environment will change to Ultra Base Navigation on May 17, 2019. What is UBN, why are we changing, and what does it mean for you?
What is Ultra Base Nav?
A fixed menu places the most important tools and activity front and center — students and instructors may quickly and easily see the information they need without having to dig into each course.
- UBN replaces the “My Bb Learn” entry page
- Fixed menu of tools is always available
- More responsive for mobile devices
- More accessible for ADA compliance
- Holistic rather than course-centric view
- More modern look and feel
- Greater consistency in course colors and fonts
The Activity Stream displays the most vital information in one place – what is due, what is new, what needs attention. Jump directly into the associated course activity right from the list!
The Course List is more intuitive, showing your current courses by default. Add a course to your Favorites list, so it appears at the top. Filter your list to see what you only need to see.
Learn more about the menu items at Blackboard’s Ultra Base Navigation site.
Why Are We Changing?
- The “My Bb Learn” page has changed very little since 2011
- UBN is responsive – it works better with mobile devices
- UBN is more accessible (ADA compliant)
- Students are asking for more modern, easier-to-use tools, and a more consistent interface between courses
- UBN only changes navigation outside of courses and course themes – course structure and functionality will not change
The old “My Bb Learn” page has a multitude of modules and so many different tabs and options that it has become cluttered and confusing.
Modules are too customizable, so they may or may not be present depending on the preferences of each user, and may not be in the same location even when they are present.
UBN will also apply a consistent theme (colors and styles) to all courses. A frequent complaint from students is that text can be difficult to read because of poor contrast and color choices. The newer UBN theme should help with those issues.
What Does This Mean for Me?
Students Accordion Open
You shouldn’t need to do anything; on Friday, May 17 you will notice that Bb Learn has been updated to Ultra Base Nav. If you have trouble finding your courses, configuring your Activity Stream, or anything else, please refer to Blackboard’s Ultra Base Navigation Info for Students or contact the Student Technology Center:
928-523-9294 or toll-free: 888-520-7215
Faculty Accordion Closed
As you update your Bb Learn courses for upcoming semesters, check for references to the “My Bb Learn” page and update them accordingly. If you would like to see a preview of how your current courses will look with the new theme, or if you have trouble finding your courses, configuring your Activity Stream, or anything else, please refer to Blackboard’s Ultra Base Navigation help or contact LMS Faculty Support:
928-523-5554 or toll-free: 866-802-5256