Student Leadership Conference
The NAU Student Leadership conference is an annual conference that serves as the foundation of new and innovative leadership development for hundreds of college students across northern Arizona. This conference is designed to help students tap into and grow their leadership potential, both personally and professionally.
Saturday, February 8th, 2020 | NAU Health & Learning Center | 8:45 am – 5:00 pm
Become a 2020 NAU Leadership Conference presenter today!
Are you interested in sharing your leadership experience or development opportunities with other students? We are looking for presenters to exemplify this year’s theme of Focus: Past, Present, and Future.
NAU students and professionals are encouraged to submit proposals for 50-minute sessions via the online form. All proposals must be submitted by Friday, November 15th, 2019. For any questions about the application or selection process, please contact Paul Rehn.
We’re excited to view your submissions!
Who should attend
- Current and emerging college student leaders and community members
- Those seeking an exciting, jam-packed day of breakout sessions with inspiring keynote and featured speakers
- Individuals and groups seeking college-level, new, and innovative leadership development information
2020 featured speakers
Coming soon! Accordion Closed
How to register
Registration fees Accordion Closed
Enter Promotional Code: SLC2020
|Registration Type||Pricing Per Person|
|NAU or CCC affiliation||$5|
|Non-NAU or CCC affiliation||$40|
Enter Promotional Code: SLC2020G
|Registration Type||Pricing Per Person|
|NAU or CCC group||$5**|
|Non-NAU or CCC group||$40|
**NAU group registration fees will be processed for $0 in the system, and be billed via Internal Departmental Transfer (IDT) after registration ends.
General registration information/FAQs Accordion Closed
- Conference registration will go live as of November 16th, 2018 at 12:00 am. Early-Bird registration will close on January 17th. The final registration deadline will be January 31st
- All interested NAU and CCC students, as well as other northern Arizona community members, are welcome and encouraged to register for the conference.
- Paying the conference registration fees includes breakfast, lunch, an event t-shirt (Early-Bird registration only), and a day-long leadership expedition!
- Note: The registration fee is nonrefundable.
- Note: There is a $1 processing fee to purchase tickets online — in-person tickets can be purchased at the Ticketing Office in the University Union (Bldg. 30 on the map) for no additional fee.
- Individual vs. Group Registration:
- Individual Registration is for those who find out about the conference and want to go on their own, with their mentor, friends, classmates, etc.
- Group Registration is typically known beforehand (i.e your employer, program, club, organization, etc. wants to pay for you to attend the conference on their behalf) — some examples include Transfer & Online Connections, First-Generation Programs, ASNAU, etc.
- If you experience problems with, or have any questions pertaining to, the pre-conference questionnaire, individual or group registration process, or have a financial need and cannot afford the registration fee, please contact Nick Rathbone for assistance.
Conference schedule Accordion Closed
Saturday, February 8th, 2020 @ NAU Health & Learning Center
8:45 am: Check-in and continental breakfast
9:30 am: Welcome and featured speaker #1
10:30 am: Breakout sessions
11:30 am: Breakout sessions
12:30 pm: Lunch and featured speaker #2
2:10 pm: Breakout sessions
3:10 pm: Breakout sessions
4:10 pm: Closing and featured speaker #3
All breakout sessions at the Student Leadership Conference will focus on one more of the following program tracks, which are based on the National Association for Colleges and Employers Career Competencies.
Critical thinking/problem solving Accordion Closed
Programs in this area focus on exercising sound reasoning to analyze issues, make decisions, and overcome problems; obtaining, interpreting, and using knowledge, facts, and data in this process; and demonstrating originality and inventiveness.
Oral/written communications Accordion Closed
Programs in this area focus on articulating thoughts and ideas clearly and effectively in written and oral forms to persons inside and outside of an organization. (e.g. public speaking skills, ability to express ideas to others, write/edit memos, letters, and complex technical reports clearly and effectively)
Teamwork/collaboration Accordion Closed
Programs in this area focus on building collaborative relationships with diverse colleagues and customers representing diverse cultures, races, ages, genders, religions, lifestyles, and viewpoints; working within a team structure; and negotiating and managing conflict.
Digital technology Accordion Closed
Programs in this area focus on leveraging existing digital technologies ethically and efficiently to solve problems, complete tasks, and accomplish goals; and demonstrating effective adaptability to new and emerging technologies.
Leadership Accordion Closed
Programs in this area focus on leveraging the strengths of others to achieve common goals; using interpersonal skills to coach and develop others; assessing and managing personal emotions and those of others; using empathetic skills to guide and motivate; and learning how to organize, prioritize, and delegate work.
Professionalism/work ethic Accordion Closed
Programs in this area focus on professionalism including personal accountability and effective work habits (punctuality, working productively with others, and time workload management); integrity and ethical behavior; acting responsibly with the interests of the larger community in mind; and learning from mistakes.
Global/intercultural fluency Accordion Closed
Programs in this area focus on valuing, respecting, and learning from diverse cultures, races, ages, genders, sexual orientations, and religions; demonstrating openness, inclusiveness, sensitivity; and the ability to interact respectfully with all people and understand individuals’ differences.