Childcare Voucher Program
The Childcare Voucher application for fall 2021 will open on August 16, 2021 at 9AM. The application link will be available on this page starting at that time and remain open until the program reaches capacity. The program is limited and applications are accepted in the order in which they are submitted.
Please mark your calendar and plan to complete the simple application promptly on August 16. We recommend completing the application on a computer. Some students have reported difficulty submitting the application on a phone.
If you are a student parent, you may be eligible to receive an award to help subsidize the cost of childcare so you can concentrate on your studies and graduate on time. Funds are available for qualifying undergraduate, graduate, online, and statewide campus students.
STUDENT ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA Accordion Open
- Undergraduate and graduate in-person, online, and statewide campus students must be currently enrolled at Northern Arizona University, have demonstrated need (Pell eligible EFC), and have childcare costs directly related to their coursework.
- Student enrolled in 9 or more credit hours are eligible.
- Student is using childcare in the state of Arizona.
- The Office of the Dean of Students will verify student eligibility and financial aid status.
- Eligible students may be asked to provide additional information when the student’s spouse or partner is also an NAU student.
- NAU Childcare Voucher awards must occur during one’s active student enrollment with the University, and in both the corresponding academic and July 1-June 30 fiscal year period.
- The age range for dependent children is birth-12years.
HOW IT WORKS Accordion Closed
- The Childcare Voucher Program provides parents with an award amount of $1,000 per term, per household, to assist in coursework-related childcare coverage.
- One application only may be submitted for each household, and applications must be resubmitted each term. Students who apply will be notified of their acceptance into the program.
The NAU Childcare Voucher program has been significantly revised for this upcoming academic year to provide more flexibility and choice to student parents and to reflect the staffing and budget realities the institution is currently facing.
NEW FEATURES Accordion Closed
- In place of payments directly to childcare providers, there will be a limited number of $1,000 grants (no repayment required) for qualified participants to be applied to childcare costs.
- Participants will receive one $1,000 grant per semester and one grant per family.
- Qualified students will receive the $1,000 grant directly as a check in their name.
- Participants will use these funds to pay their childcare providers directly.
- Students may use the childcare provider of their choice as long as it falls into one of the regulated or sponsored categories of “Qualifying Childcare”. See Program Guidelines.
- Students must apply for funding each term.
Students are encouraged to explore other helpful resources throughout the Flagstaff community and NAU. Some of these resources include on-campus housing, WIC, DES programs, and tribal care programs. Vouchers may be used along with other forms of childcare assistance.