CSAC was established in November 1991 to advise and make recommendations to administrators on existing and proposed policies, procedures, and programs which impact or are of interest to NAU classified staff employees.
In order to qualify as a CSAC member, a classified staff employee must have performed at minimum standards or better as an NAU employee for one (1) consecutive year. Members not meeting this standard may apply for provisional membership that is subject to final approval by the employee’s supervisor and CSAC executive board after a six-month probationary period or upon the member’s one-year anniversary.To qualify as a CSAC participant, a classified staff employee must have performed at minimum standards or better as an NAU employee for six (6) months.
Classified staff employees may either nominate themselves or they may nominate a classified staff colleague, but the nominee must sign the application form to confirm their agreement. The nominee’s supervisor and department head must sign the form to support the employee’s desire to become active in CSAC, by permitting reasonable release time. The completed application form is then submitted to the employee’s respective vice president, associate provost, or provost for signature. The CSAC Executive Board reviews completed applications and presents their recommendation to the President of the University for final approval.
Members and terms
- Members of the Council shall be appointed by the University President and consist of up to thirty (30) benefit eligible classified staff employees. The Council members should be representative of all department units at Northern Arizona University.
- Nominees for Appointment must be in good standing, i.e., neither on administrative leave nor with disciplinary action pending.
- A concerted effort will be made to ensure diversity of staff employees.
- Nominees for appointment as members must have performed at minimum standards or better as benefit eligible employees for a minimum of one consecutive year.
- The Council shall invite all eligible members of the classified staff to apply or to nominate colleagues for membership.
- Nominations can be made by any University employee with the concurrence of the nominee. Self-nominations are acceptable.
- Nominations shall be submitted through the chain of supervision to the appropriate Vice president or Provost. Nominations will be sent to Human Resources for review and they will forward their recommendation to the President.
- Council members may serve two-year terms, beginning at the start of their appointment.
- Members shall serve no more than two consecutive terms. An application for the second term will be available on our website and will need the approval of the member’s current supervisor. Former Council members are not eligible for reappointment until at least one year has elapsed between appointments.
- Should a vacancy occur, the Executive Board will recommend an appointment to the University President from the current list of qualified applicants to fill the remainder of the term. If members serve more than one-half of a term, they will be considered as having served full terms.
- The Associate Vice President of Human Resources, or designee, and the Vice President for Finance and Administration, or designee, shall serve as ex-officio members.
- Members shall attend all general meetings, serve on one or more Northern Arizona University committee(s) annually, and participate in voting.
- Members with two (2) consecutive absences or three (3) total absences during one year may be recalled as a member of CSAC and replaced, based on Executive Board decision.
- Members who cannot attend a meeting are responsible for notifying the Secretary or President in advance of the meeting.
- Membership may be vacated by written resignation, addressed to the President of the Council.
- Each Council committee chair will be required to provide a committee annual report no later than June 1 to the President of the Council for inclusion in the CSAC Annual Report.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding CSAC or the membership application process, contact Judy Manor, CSAC President, at 928-523-5031.