News and Events
We invite you to join us for a virtual event on Monday, January 18, from 10:00 am to 12:00 pm. The 26th annual Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service honors Dr. King’s legacy and is an opportunity for Americans to renew their own personal vows of citizenship through service to others and engage in conversations to advance community goals.
Outgoing Flagstaff Mayor Coral Evans will be providing a keynote address on “Unity through Service” and volunteers will discuss the barriers to serving their communities, particular during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The NAU Civic Service Institute will celebrate Arizonans tackling local problems, in spite of the unprecedented nature of COVID-19. To advance Dr. King’s dream of opportunity for all, participants will engage in dialogue on two important issues:
- Message for the Ages: National Service category names and branding have changed. With all programs now under the AmeriCorps umbrella, how can we ensure that the National Service message is found, read, and understood by people of all ages. Join us for an interactive discussion to uncover new and innovative ways to get the word out to all Arizonans about the benefits of service. Come to the breakout ready to share your ideas to help craft a National Service message that will appeal to – and can be heard by – all generations.
- Diversity in Service: National service itself is wide ranging and happens in many contexts with different populations in a variety of different communities throughout Arizona. Our work through National Service is important and creates a positive impact in the communities we serve. Have you ever wondered how you might improve your impact? Or improve your relationships with those of diverse backgrounds? In this session we will unpack the meaning of diversity, how it has been recently used in our national discourse, and then uncover ideas of how we can apply a few strategies of diversity into our service to deepen our positive impact.
We hope you can join us and be a part of the conversation. Register in advance here.
In the News
- Foster Grandparent Program featured on ABC15
- RSVP Mohave Volunteer Recognized with National Service Award
- National Senior Corps Week scheduled
- Reading is Fundamental
- Foster Grandparent Program featured on CNN
This year 44 donors joined us and donated blood at the City of Flagstaff Aquaplex as we partnered with Vitalant for our annual Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service Blood Drive!
Thank you all for your lifesaving contributions!