Don’t miss your opportunity to stock up on discounted professional attire at NAU Career Development’s JCPenney Suit-Up event Sunday, September 16th. Click here for more information and to register.
Business formal is the most traditional and conservative style of work dress. Although only 9% of white collar workers dress in business formal attire on a daily basis, this is the most common look for job interviews across most industries. NAU Career Development is here with some quick tips to help you nail your look for that next interview!
- Do choose a matching suit, with both pieces cut from the same fabric, in black, navy, or gray.
- Do choose clothes with solid, dark, or neutral colors (lighter colors can be worn underneath).
- Do wear a traditionally cut, neat, and clean clothing that fit you appropriately and are wrinkle-free.
- Do match your socks to your pants, and your belt to your shoes.
- Do choose minimal accessories, such as a small necklace, single bracelet, or watch.
- Do cut the thread “x” closing the vents and slits of brand new professional clothing (this is just so the material lays flat to look good on the hanger in the store).
- Do not choose a suit in a fabric that’s bold or attention-grabbing, such as a large pinstripe or pattern; avoid flashy patterns and colors.
- Do not choose a skirt that goes above knee-length, sitting or standing.
- Do not wear a shirt with a button down collar; these are considered casual. Buttoning a collar down over a tie is also informal.
- Do not wear an open toed shoe, or a pump with a platform or heel over 3 inches.
- Do not wear an extra wide tie, or a tie in a flashy pattern or bold color.
Now that you know some dos and the don’ts of professional dress, you can add some new pieces to your wardrobe with JCPenney and NAU Career Development in an exclusive, closed-door event offered to NAU students! Join us to receive 40% off JCPenney business and professional clothing with student ID–plus even more discounts with coupons offered at the door. In addition to massive discounts on professional wear, free mini-makeovers and hair consultations will be offered. Free transportation shuttle will be provided by NAU to and from JCPenney. This event will be held from 6:30-9:30 p.m. on Sunday, September 16th. You can register for the JCPenney Suit-Up event through Handshake.
For more ideas, check out our What to Wear Pinterest board and Dressing for Professional Contexts Career Steps lesson.