College Fees Administration
ATTENTION- Information on this page is actively updating, please return June 22, 2023 for finalized 2023-2024 information.
As approved by ABOR, undergraduate college fees and graduate program fees are used to support a broad set of needs and associated initiatives that enable NAU to offer high-quality instruction: expand academic support, advising, and student services; support needs for instructional equipment, supplies, specialized software, and experience supporting post-graduation professional success; and improve instructional environment and facilities.
*The Honors College program fee is the only undergraduate program fee and is applied in addition to undergraduate college fees.
College Fee Details Accordion Closed
College Fees by College/Unit
Fee Level 1 Arts and Letters; Education; Environment, Forestry, and Natural Sciences; Office of the Provost; Online and Innovative Educational Initiatives; Social and Behavioral Sciences
Fee Level 2 Business; Health and Human Services
Fee Level 3 Engineering, Informatics, and Applied Sciences
- All students with a Statewide or Online campus will receive the AZ resident rate.
- College Fees are applied each Fall and Spring term.
- There are no College Fees for Winter term
- College Fees are only applied in the Summer term for specified 12-month programs: Dental Hygiene and Nursing.
ABOR Links Accordion Closed
Program Fees Administration
Please note that planning timeframes are a year in advance of the March 1 submission deadline. March submission ensures an April ABOR review and, if approved, a subsequent Fall implementation or start.
Required Fee Considerations Accordion Closed
NAU strives to keep our cost of attendance as low as possible to promote high levels of access for our students. Faculty and administrators involved in fee requests are expected to review important considerations before submitting fee proposals to enable us to meet this goal.
- Fee impact on students: For every proposed fee, faculty and administrators will review all existing required tuition and all applicable fees including, but not limited to mandatory, program, and college fees. New and increased fees must be considered within the context of all fees paid by the effected students. Following are links for tuition and fee information.
- Tuition and fee information (listed by term and campus (to see fee breakdown, select a term and expand Fee Detail): in.nau.edu/sdas/tuition-fees/
- Additional fee descriptions, providing descriptions of mandatory fees and additional fees: in.nau.edu/sdas/additional-fee-descriptions/
- See Program Fees by Unit for program fee information.
- Benefit to students: Necessity of additional student cost has been validated and contributes to student benefit/success.
- Alternative funding considered: Other funding options have been explored and exploration confirms a fee as the most fitting funding mechanism.
- Student feedback is required for mandatory and program fee requests: Review Obtaining Student Input requirements (this page).
Financials and Management Accordion Closed
All reports listed are in Enterprise Reporting (aka Business Objects). In addition to reports listed below, Student and Departmental Accounts (SDAS) has developed a query using certain criteria often connected to program fees. The results of the query will be sent to the applicable departments prior to the start of the term to assist in the department reviews for confirming which students should be assessed a program fee; whether the fee was accurately applied; and whether any students did not receive a charge who should have.
Program Fees Reconciliation
- Department Charges displays course and program fee charges by term with both summary and student level detail of the amount charged, paid, and balance due. The data is displayed for the term(s) selected regardless of fiscal year in which the revenue was collected in.nau.edu/its/enterprise-reporting/ under Louie->Student Financials->Department Charges
- PS Financials Transactions Detail- State and Local course and program fee revenue data by Fiscal Year for the selected PS Financials speedchart in.nau.edu/its/enterprise-reporting/ under Financial Management Reports->General Accounting->PS Financials Transactions Detail- State and Local
Program Fees Student Groups
The following reports are useful in reviewing and maintaining Student Groups that have been established to manage the application of a program fee.
- Enrollment Status by Student Group includes enrolled and eligible to enroll student for the current or future term in.nau.edu/its/enterprise-reporting/ under Louie->Student Reports->Student Records->Enrollment Status by Student Group
- Data Integrity – Active Student Groups listing all students in a student group with their effective date regardless of enrollment status in.nau.edu/its/enterprise-reporting/ under Louie->Data Integrity->Data Integrity – Active Student Groups
- Data Integrity – Student Group History contains historical and future student group information for each student within the selected Student Group (active/inactive dates) in.nau.edu/its/enterprise-reporting/ under Louie->Data Integrity->Data Integrity – Student Group History
Timelines and Deadlines Accordion Closed
|Timelines and Deadlines
|Program Chair/Director contact email@example.com to schedule consultation
|January - April
|Planning, initial budget, peer comparison, and gathering student input
|Dean presents intent to submit to Provost for discussion
|December & January
|Finalize ABOR forms and documentation
|Submit ABOR forms and documentation to Provost
|ABOR forms reviewed by Provost and presented for internal approvals; approved requests finalized for ABOR submission
|April & May
|ABOR approvals are entered in NAU system
|Tuition calculation and billing incorporate new or adjusted program fees
Obtaining Student Input Accordion Closed
ABOR requires Evidence of student consultation including notification and consultation with elected student representatives concerning the proposed tuition, mandatory fees, college fees or program fees. “Elected student representatives” means the students elected to college councils and associated student government. The department must meet with elected student representatives, in addition to program participants, to discuss new or increased program fee proposals.
Document the following for each student input communication
A minimum of two reports are expected. One for the students in the program and one for the elected student representatives. Student representative data should be kept separate from program student data. Multiple communications with program students is recommended unless all students can be reached with one communication.
- Identification of audiences: program members and elected student representatives.
- Number of total program members.
- Method and date of communication: surveys, forums, regularly scheduled program meetings (recommended if available).
- Number of invitations and number of actual responders/attendees from program members and elected student representatives.
- Response analysis
- General response- with sample comments
- Concerns expressed- with sample comments
- Level of understanding- with sample comments
For new programs without current student enrollment, the requirements are the same, but the audience is comprised of the following:
Prospective students: recruiting/orientations; first-year students; elected student representatives.
Program Fees by Unit Accordion Closed
|23-24 Total Active
|College of Education
|College of Engineering, Informatics & Applied Science
|College of the Environment, Forestry and Natural Sciences
|College of Health and Human Services
|College of Social and Behavioral Sciences
|Provost Office (Yuma)
|The W.A. Franke College of Business
ABOR Links Accordion Closed
* Student input is mandatory for any program fee requests.
Mandatory Fees Administration
Mandatory fees gather student input according to the following timeline.
|Initial presentations to ASNAU Executive Team and Graduate Student Government (GSG) for discussion and feedback
|Initial Presentation to ASNAU Senate for feedback and discussion; presentation to GSG for feedback and discussion
|Tuition and Fees Discussion Forums and Meetings with student organization leaders – hosted by the President, CFO, Provost, and VP for Student Affairs
|Final presentations and Q&A with ASNAU Senate
|Vote by ASNAU and GSG
|Tuition hearing hosted by ABOR