Guidelines & Procedures
Trademark uses requiring approval
All uses of NAU’s trademarks on products, regardless of distribution method or intended use, require approval of artwork from the University Trademark and Licensing Manager, even if the proposed use does not involve sale of the product (e.g., promotional items for conferences or meetings, staff shirts, plaques and awards, uniforms, club/organization shirts, items for giveaways, gifts, etc.)
Obtaining branded merchandise or promotional items
Identify the item you are looking to purchase. Accordion Closed
Consider items that will add value to your program, and will reflect positively upon the University. While some items may be “cute” or provide novelty, is it something that will inspire good will towards your program and NAU?
Identify a vendor to produce your product Accordion Closed
All vendors must be licensed to produce goods bearing the protected trademarks and tradenames of Northern Arizona University
For Merchandise and promotional items:
- The campus Bookstore is contracted with the University for the exclusive right to sell merchandise traditionally offered in University Bookstores. The Campus Bookstore should always be afforded first opportunity to quote on any promotional materials. If they are unable to meet the University’s needs, alternative options through licensed vendors may then be sought. To request a quote, please e-mail the Campus Bookstore.
For Print Materials and Internal Display Items (tablecloths, pop-up banners):
- Northern Arizona University operates a highly capable and cost-efficient University Printing Services department to meet most of the NAU’s printing needs. All University offices and personnel must use University Printing Services for their University printing jobs in excess of their own routine photocopying and desktop printing. The Manager of University Printing Services may grant a waiver of this requirement on a case-by-case basis. To review products offered, request a quote or place an order, please visit Printing Services.
In the event the Campus Bookstore is unable to produce your item, a licensed vendor may be used. A full list of licensed vendors may be found below. Please ensure you select a vendor that maintains the proper licensed type to produce your order. If you are planning to resell items for a promotion or fundraiser, then a local or standard licensee must be used:
Types of Licenses
Internal Campus Supplier Accordion Open
Allows a company to produce product bearing the trademarks of collegiate institutions for university departments and related entities for internal consumption only. Cannot provide product at retail or direct to consumer.
Local License Accordion Closed
Allows a company to produce product bearing the trademarks of collegiate institutions within the same state as the business’ location for university departments and related entities in addition to retail distribution.
Develop artwork Accordion Closed
Artwork may be developed internally, or in collaboration with the licensed vendor of your choosing. All University, College and Unit level logos may be accessed via the University Marketing website. University Trademarks may not be altered without the express written consent of University Marketing.
- The Axe Logo – athletics logos containing the bordering axe signify our NCAA collegiate level sports programs and may not be used by any organization, department or division other than Intercollegiate Athletics.
Review and reference the Brand Identity Guide while developing artwork bearing any of the University’s protected trademarks and tradenames. All uses of NAU trademarks and tradenames are subject to policy and guidelines stated in the Brand Identity Guide.
Obtain University Marketing Approval Accordion Closed
Submit a branded merchandise and promotional items approval request. The form will require you to include the following information:
- Vendor Name
- Upload of the design file or art submission
- Intended use of the item
- Contact information
Submit Order to Vendor Accordion Closed
Upon receipt of approval from University Marketing, you may place your order directly with the vendor.
Standard turnaround time for production can be anywhere from 4-6 weeks, and will vary based on production capacity, weather (for delivery), and vendor. When working with the vendor, please establish an “in-hands” date to determine if they will be able to meet your needs. In some cases, expedited production and shipping may be available at an additional cost.
Frequently Asked Questions
Royalty exempt or royalty required? Accordion Closed
In addition to seeking permission for artwork, requests for approval normally fall into two categories, royalty exempt or royalty required.
Royalty Required – Any items bearing NAU trademarks being sold or resold for any of the following purposes:
- Sales to individuals
- Sales on campus by registered student groups with permits
- Sales for fundraising projects (a higher royalty will be assessed if the item includes the use of a commercial sponsor’s name or logo on a licensed product)
- Sales of items carrying a commercial message, sponsor or endorsement (regardless of imprint size)
- Items used as promotional marketing for an event
- Items given away at conferences, workshops, clinics or camps that require a registration fee and the price of the item has been included in the fee
- Items used as giveaways to attendees of special events, booster activities, or for use as fundraisers
Royalty Exempt – Any items bearing the NAU trademarks which are ineligible for external resale and intended for internal use only.
- Items restricted to members of an office, department or recognized student organization and are used as a “uniform” or general department giveaway. These items must be bought with departmental funds and, if sold to the internal audience, must be sold at cost to qualify for royalty exemption.
- Printed items such as banners and signs without endorsements and commercial messages or sponsorships, unless a company is a corporate sponsor of NAU Athletics and trademark usage is specified in the sponsorship agreement.
- In addition to seeking approval for use of trademarks and artwork, departments and registered student groups wishing to purchase royalty exempt items should complete the Application for Royalty Exemption (coming soon).
Trademark use by student groups Accordion Closed
Student groups and organizations that are officially registered with the Office of Student Life and/or recognized by the university may use Northern Arizona University logos and verbiage in their organization’s name logo, materials and products. Artwork must be approved prior to use or production, all design guidelines must be met, and use of NAU trademarks must follow all requirements of the University Trademark Licensing program. Organizations and clubs not registered with the Office of Student Life or those which are not officially recognized by the university are not permitted to use any NAU logos or verbiage.
Uses that may not require approval Accordion Closed
Some uses for NAU trademarks may not require prior approval from NAU’s Trademark and Licensing Manager, including: Use of NAU’s name or other trademarks in connection with news reporting and other fair uses that do not undermine NAU’s rights to its trademarks. These editorial or communication types of use should be approved by Public Affairs or the Office of the President.
Inappropriate use and infringement Accordion Closed
NAU’s trademarks may not be altered in any way.
NAU trademarks may not be used in conjunction with the name or trademark(s) of any other entity without the prior written permission of that entity and the university. If permission is granted by the University Trademark and Licensing Manager to use both NAU’s trademark and another party’s trademark, the trademarks must be distinct and separate from each other, and NAU’s trademarks must not be overshadowed or diminished in any way in comparison to the other entity’s trademark. Approval of any such dual use of NAU’s trademarks will be limited to instances where there is a compelling institutional priority.
NAU trademarks may not be used in any manner that suggests or implies Northern Arizona University’s endorsement of the views, beliefs, statements or messages of other organizations, companies, products, services, political parties, or religious organizations.
NAU’s trademarks may not be used in any way that discriminates or implies discrimination against any persons or groups based on age, ancestry, belief, color, creed, disability, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status, or in any other way that would be a violation of NAU’s anti-discrimination policies or practices.
No one other than Northern Arizona University may claim copyright or trademark rights or seek to register any design that uses Northern Arizona University trademarks.
All uses of NAU trademarks on products will incorporate the appropriate trademark designation symbols , either ® or ™. In rare instances, omission of the symbols may be granted due complications with production processes or when inclusion of the symbols interferes with the integrity of the design or significantly reduces consumer appeal. Generally, a trademark endorsement statement is included instead on the back of such items or on the package, label or hangtag. Agreements for omissions of trademark designations must be granted in writing by the University Trademark and Licensing Manager prior to production of the item.
Northern Arizona University will not approve the use of NAU trademarks in connection with products or designs that present an unacceptable risk of liability or could be harmful to the mission or image of the institution. Some of these include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Weapons or firearms
- Alcoholic beverages or tobacco products (unless produced by an official corporate sponsor of the University or NAU Athletics, per contract agreement)
- Illegal drug-related products
- Sexually suggestive products or language
- Art depicting or implying the use or endorsement of illegal drugs, tobacco products, firearms or other weapons, racist, sexist, hateful, demeaning or degrading language or statements, profanity, sexual acts, or statements impugning other universities
Any uses of the names, numbers and/or images of NAU student athletes must comply with university policies and NCAA regulations. Questions should be directed to the University Trademark and Licensing Manager, who will consult as appropriate with NAU Athletics.
**Report inappropriate use or possible infringements here.**
Clarification of use Accordion Closed
In instances where there is uncertainty regarding the appropriate use of NAU trademarks, the University Trademark and Licensing Manager will consult as needed with University Marketing, NAU Athletics, NAU’s general legal counsel, and/or other appropriate university partners. Northern Arizona University reserves the right to disapprove any use of its trademarks, even if such use is not explicitly prohibited by these guidelines.
The Trademark Licensing Program at Northern Arizona University is housed in University Marketing.
For more information about Northern Arizona University’s Trademark Licensing Program, contact:
PO Box 4101
Flagstaff, AZ 86011