Contact a Leave Advisor
Faculty and Appointed/Service Professional
Family Medical Leave (FML)
FML is available to eligible employees who may need to take time away from work due to personal illness, family illness or other qualified family matters. An eligible employee may request a total of twelve weeks of FML during any twelve month period.
Who is eligible to request FML Accordion Closed
You may be eligible to request a FML leave if you:
- have worked for the university for not less than one year
- have worked at least 1,250 hours in the prior 12 month period
Reasons for FML Accordion Closed
You may request FMLA for the following reasons
- Employee’s serious health condition
- Spouse’s, parent’s or child’s serious health condition
- Birth\ care of a newborn
- Placement of a child for adoption or foster care
- Care of family member in the military
Amount of FML Accordion Closed
If your leave request is approved, you could be granted leave up to a 12 weeks FML.
FML will run concurrently with Extended Medical leave and Industrial leave.
How FML can be taken Accordion Closed
- Reduced Schedule*
*For birth and bonding, FML can be taken as a reduced schedule or intermittently if approved by the department.
Continuing your pay while on FML Accordion Closed
Most leaves of absence like Family Medical Leave are unpaid. For the time away from work related to FML you are required to use accrued paid time off in the following order:
- Compensatory Time (if eligible)
You must report all time way from work on your online time sheet on LOUIE. If you do not have enough paid time off to cover you standard hours for any pay period you should report leave without pay.
Other types of income replacement Accordion Closed
If eligible you may be able to replace a portion of your income through disability insurance or Compassionate Transfer of Leave
Short Term Disability
If your leave of absence is for your own health condition and you enrolled in short term disability through the Hartford or Unum Provident, you may qualify for short term benefits.
- MetLife: In order to file a claim call MetLife directly at 866-264-5144.
- UnumProvident: You will need to complete and submit the UnumProvident Short Term Disability Claim Form to Human Resources. If you are hospitalized for more than a 24 hour period or have outpatient surgery you may not have a waiting period and will need to also complete one of the following forms. UnumProvident Claim Forms
Long term disability
Long-term disability insurance protects you from loss of income in the event you become disabled for more than six months as a result of illness or non-work related injury. All regular employees are required to participate in a long-term disability plan. You are automatically enrolled into the long-term disability plan corresponding to your retirement plan.
- Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) If you are participating in the ASRS plan, you receive your long-term disability benefits from Broadspire.
- Optional Retirement Plan (ORP) If you are participating in the Optional Retirement Plan (ORP), the Public Safety Personnel Retirement System (PSPRS), or are a Post-Doctoral Scholar you are covered by Securian Insurance Company.
Contact your Benefits Advisor in order to apply for long term disability.
Compassionate Transfer of Leave (CTL)
After you have exhausted your accrued leave you may be eligible for CTL. Find out more about CTL.
How to Request Family Medical Leave
Whenever possible you should request Family Medical Leave at least 30 days in advance. You should also notify your supervisor that you are requesting leave.
- To request Family Medical Leave complete the online Leave of Absence Request form .
- You will receive an email confirming the receipt of of your request.
- Your supervisor will be notified of your request.
- Human Resources will evaluate your request and notify you if you are eligible for Family Medical Leave.
Notify your department
Although Human Resources will notify your supervisor once you have completed the online Leave of Absence Request form, you should also talk to your supervisor when you are planning to request a leave of absence.
If you are eligible for Family Medical Leave, Human Resources will request medical certification. You will be sent a ‘Certification of Health Care Provider’ that will need to be completed by a physician.
- This certification must include enough information to confirm a serious health condition exists, the probable duration and the specific period of incapacity of the employee or family member.
- If the request is for intermittent leave the certification must state the dates on which such treatment is expected to be given and the duration of such treatment.
Once the completed ‘Certification of Health Care Provider’ is submitted, Human Resources will determine if you are eligible for the FML.
If eligible, you will be sent a ‘Designation Letter’ approving your time away work under FML.
- If not eligible, you will be sent a denial letter indicating the reason for denial.
- If the information is not sufficient to determine if you are eligible for FML, you will be sent a notice requesting additional information or clarification of the information submitted, along with a deadline for submitting the requested information.